Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
EchoElite

Linux or windows?

16 posts in this topic

Windows, because I've been working with it my whole life. (I'm 16 now) I can remember windows 98. Mac confuses me somehow. And I've never worked with Linux (Though I do want to.).

Here is what I've heard about Windows, Mac, and Linux.

***Windows is more mainstream. Therefore having more stuff oriented for it (including harmful stuff).

***Mac is very efficient in multimedia. Also, most Mac products have some sort of compatibility usually because Apple designs all hardware and software.

***Linux is free and open source. It is geared for the more experienced and technically informed user.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think ones technically better than the other. The reason being is like was stated they each have their own unique purpose. It mainly all comes down to what your requirements are.

NOW YOU CAN BROSE THROUGH RED SCREENS, BLUE SCREENS BLACK SCREENS, AND MULTIPLE YES/NO SECERUITY QUESTIONS ALL IN 3D!  ;D

I'm on Sabayon Linux with a dell vostro 1500 laptop, have vista on the other partiton for those rare moments when I need a tool on windows that I cant get to run in WINE.

Its very fast, stable(even for an "unstable release"), i'm in greater control and have more flexibility in all aspects of configuration.

Ideally I would love to have two badass workstations, one linux and one windows, because neither one has it all.(yet)

In terms of servers, I dont see why anyone in their right mind would ever think about using windows as a server, since reliability is the main issue. People still do it, and I still have a job.

Fixing a windows server right now as we speak, permissions miraculously got modified within the last 20 minutes which no one told it to do as far as i know of.

CatButt(*)

I've never heard of Sabayon Linux before. I went and looked it up and it looks like a distro I would be interested in. As soon as get another old computer from somebody i'll have to try it out. 8)

well i use ubuntu at the moment...

funny by the way that it aint under linux in this poll?

well ive been through a bunch of distro's, but ubuntu is stable, fast and full of eye candy...

ive like what theyve done with it

I'd say windows, for the most compability of games and software (even though linux have wine emulator...)

Although I have been(as most people) using Windows my whole life, I recently DLed Ubuntu/Linux, and it seems to be best OS I have used, unusually user friendly with full customization...It has different uses, such as if you do a lot of netowrking or programming, it is really interesting and UF. Windows is more of a difficult thing to use if your looking for programs and such to use on it, as microsoft makes you buy everything(jerk bags) Linux/Ubuntu the majority of stuff free....And free is good.