Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
EON8

How I acquired eon8.com

25 posts in this topic

Since its been two years since I acquired the domain name its hard for me to remember the details but I’ll try my best.

I was a big fan of Eon8 like many others were. When the timer reached zero I couldn’t even access the site at all due to the explosion of traffic like a few others could. I had to wait until people posted videos and put up screencaps and mirror sites. I wasn’t expecting the outcome of it being a social experiment. I was personally hoping something bad was going to happen. ;D

Shortly after it was over with the original creator tried to sell it. They put up For Sale text on a few of the pages with the asking price (forgot how much) along with an email address to contact with in order to purchase it. There must have been no serious offers as the site was completely removed within a few months.

Then the domain name lay dormant for a week or two when it was finally put up for auction. If I remember correctly the domain name expired along with its other extensions such as .net and that’s why it was automatically put up for auction.

Bidding was to take place for a week. There were of course a lot of others who were bidding on it along with myself. By the end of the week the bids were up to half a grand. The problem was that I had to be out on a computer repair call two hours before the auctions end. I remember all I could think of was making it back to my computer in order to try and win it. After an hour and a half at the computer repair job I lied and told them I was finished and raced home. There was something like 15 minutes left and I was a complete nervous wreck. :P

Bidding was only going up a few dollars at a time. Basically just people outbidding each other by the smallest allowed amount in order to not raise the price too high. By this time there was only a minute left and I started counting backwards from 60 seconds in my head. At the 30 second mark bidding was up to $540 something. I decided in the heat of the moment that I wanted it badly enough and bid $650 just to blow everyone else out of the water. By that time there was only 10 seconds left and it felt like the last 10 seconds of the Eon8 timer all over again because of the apprehensiveness. :o

The bidding structure was incremental like ebay so even though I bid $650 I won it for whatever the last bid was under mine. It ended up being somewhere in the area of $550. The domain name was now mine…. Almost.

The problem now was since the domain name went to auction because it expired, the registrar had 14 days to try and get into contact with the owner to get them to renew. That was one of the worst two weeks of my life. Waiting and hoping the owner didn’t pay to renew the domain name. Sure enough they didn’t and I was the new owner of eon8.com!

I still then had to wait another period of time for the domain to transfer into my possession before I could use it, but at least it was mine. After thinking about it I decided the best use of it was to turn it into a message board with the Eon8 theme. So now the legacy can live on for a long time to come! 8)

What a nice story. You could tell your grandkids this story on Christmas day! Lol, just kidding. ;D

Interesting though.

Throw in some zombies/robots, Will Smith, and a world/society gone wrong or devastated by an event and every magazine will say the story's "riveting". Oprah will probably invite you on her show too...

Yeah, I think so too... Besides, just about anyone can get on Oprah's show... Lose a testicle in a bad skateboarding accident, burn your face off, break all arms and legs, etc.

I RATE THIS STORY TEN OUT OF FIVE! THAT WAS A RIVETING STORY! IT HAD TONS OF ROBOTS AND ZOMBIES! IT HAD WILL SMITH! AND IT HAD A WORLD SOCIETY GONE WRONG! LOOK UNDER YOUR CHAIR!

Just like to say, thanks for runnin the site, i find it interesting and check it out just about everyday. I like how people post things about relevant interesting topics. Very cool.

Im never in a current conversation. Im always like months late bc i just found out about eon8 last week. But dont worry guys. Ill try 2 get as many ppl as possible 2 join nd we will become even bigger than myspace ;). Itll just take a bit of time nd a bit of work