Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

KRUPT

Putting Vista Onto A Bootable USB

12 posts in this topic

ok, after all the links and pages i looked at concerning installing vista to a usb, i realized that the people who uploaded all those instructions for the usb installation thing were using vista, meaning in XP, those instructions don't work AT ALL, maybe some parts do but the important parts dont. I can't set the usb drive active on partition and I cant get use vista's bootsect.exe for the usb's boot loader b/c its "not a system32 file" and it only corisponds to (if your running) vista.

srsly, I'm so close to punchin my screen, this shit is really pissin me off, and needing it done before sat. doesnt help!

Let me make sure I understand what you're trying to do exactly. You're trying to install Vista on a flash drive instead of a hard drive? I did some googling around and read in several different places that say you can't install Vista on a flash drive or external hard drive period. :indifferent:

Mabye its that he is using a 64 bit version of vista, that might be why, but why do you need vista, there may be an alternative to vista for what you need it for.

Dont put vista on a USB man, put Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Redhat, Backtrack 3, Linux, something better than Vista. While I don't dislike vista, I just really Ubuntu because everything is open source, dont gotta pay for shit. Plus, as you play around with it more, you start to become accustomed to using the command line interface. Which is awesome knowledge to have. Personally, I believe it is a requirement, especially for someone looking at an IT career outside of windows...

---Oh how nice a world without Gates would be---

well i figured out the issue. Both xp and vista carry a 'bootsect' yet each os's bootsect is different. XP is bootsect.exe /nt52 whereas Vista's is bootsect.exe /nt60. So when u try to make the usb bootable by giving it a bootsect, since im currently using xp and not vista, and im trying to load a vista bootsect to the usb, xp wont recognize the bootsect.exe /nt60 (b/c XP's is /nt52 not /nt60) and an error message will come up. so ingeneral, the only to make vista bootable on a usb is to be usin a vista os so when u try to make the usb bootable, vista recognizes the /nt60 and writes the bootloader for the usb, therefore making the son of a bitch B O O T A B L E!

Is it possible for you to add the bootsect.exe /nt60 to your registry files? or maybe add it somewhere so when you put in the USB it recognizes the /nt60 and boots vista?

I also tried putting BackTrack3 on a USB so I could I could boot it from computers at places I go, but I couldn't get the OS to load for some reason from the USB IDK why, but it just won't do it, it works from a CD but not from a USB. Any information on this would be great.

Is it possible for you to add the bootsect.exe /nt60 to your registry files? or maybe add it somewhere so when you put in the USB it recognizes the /nt60 and boots vista?

I also tried putting BackTrack3 on a USB so I could I could boot it from computers at places I go, but I couldn't get the OS to load for some reason from the USB IDK why, but it just won't do it, it works from a CD but not from a USB. Any information on this would be great.

sadly no, I do know there's programs you can use to take ownership on vista bootsect and add it to XP's system32. But yea i managed to get a dvd burner (for free) and just burned the bicth to a dvd!!! but like i said before, if your using vista and your putting vista to boot from a usb, it should work b/c vista will recognize the bootsect when doin the whole cmd thing and it should make VISTA BOOTABLE

But if you're running vista why would you want to have vista on a bootable flash drive? Except for maybe recovery reasons, inwhich case, you hope you havea product key otherwise it's completely useless...

I think its a great question. Im very new to all this but I have been pulling halo 3 map files off of the hd and changing them and then putting them back. In the case of those files, you have to use a program to rehash them and then a program to resign them not sure why in either case but then xplorer 360 will just put them back on calls it "inject". Since Im so new, I wonder why you cant use those rehashers and resigners on any kind of xbox360 file?????????? I also dont understand what xpirs is and why it is important??

I think its a great question. Im very new to all this but I have been pulling halo 3 map files off of the hd and changing them and then putting them back. In the case of those files, you have to use a program to rehash them and then a program to resign them not sure why in either case but then xplorer 360 will just put them back on calls it "inject". Since Im so new, I wonder why you cant use those rehashers and resigners on any kind of xbox360 file?????????? I also dont understand what xpirs is and why it is important??

why, is it an 360 file you pertain to change, or modify? there's certain programs available now that help ease such process.