Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Initiate

Greetings

10 posts in this topic

Thought I would make my brief and respectful first contact. Just came by this space on a round-about study quest on Neurocam, Alternate Reality Games and Extra-dimensional Intelligence. I signed up, but had no idea what this forum was about. Still don't since I haven't looked around. But it is a pleasure to be here- I am rather sure I have found my way here for some reason or another. I look forward to chatting with you all.

-Initiate

Welcome

The information is around here someplace but Eon8 was a major internet event that happened three years ago next month. Afterwords I acquired the domain name and have kept the legacy going in the form of this message board. You can get the whole story by googling it or by looking through the links in this thread: http://www.eon8.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1452

Hmmm, curious... come to think of it, i remember that meme from quite some time ago, though I never paid it much attention. I suppose it is fitting I found myself here then- much of what i am currently working on and studying is the fad of such things on the internet- specifically, odd meme's with intent, and looking at the methods and means for harnessing the collective power of the net for the means of magickal manifestation. Thus my curiosity around the Neurocam experiment and what little I have found about yellow 1 and Fiat NOX. Many of these seem like preemptive attempts at something that could be huge- weaving a mythology through the internet.

This board however does not seem very active currently... I am curious as to the intent lying behind this forum in the present- or is it simply to carry on Eon8's legacy? Also, I am curious about how many people here were involved in the original E8 meme, or any of the other a-formentioned projects. How many regular participants are there here currently?

I apologize for all the questions, but i figure that my researches have found me here for some reason- perhaps to cull certain knowledge, or make new connections- at present I am unsure.

thank you for your kind welcome.

- Initiate

Welcome

The information is around here someplace but Eon8 was a major internet event that happened three years ago next month. Afterwords I acquired the domain name and have kept the legacy going in the form of this message board. You can get the whole story by googling it or by looking through the links in this thread: http://www.eon8.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1452

We discuss neurocam with varying frequency. Though regular members can't see the discussions as there in a private section of the forum. I think we've come to the conclusion that its more fun to ruffle neurocams feathers then to try and figure out the purpose behind them.

Heres the short version about this place. I acquired the domain name three years ago, and this is the third message board that we've been through in that time. The first two boards I decided to try ended up not working out for us. Each time we moved to a new one we had to start all over from scratch again. I finally decided enough was enough and purchased forum software I was accustomed to. This is where we're at now, and its our permanent home.

There are a number of reasons why the activity is lacking at this point in time.

We have only been here less then a year. Its going to take some time for the word to spread.

The ominous nature of this place turns a lot of people away.

People think this forum is something its not.

There are thousands and thousands of other message boards on the internet to compete with.

People simply need to post. A message board is only as good as the members make it.

Usually message boards are accompanied by a website. Being only the board makes it ten times more difficult.

There was only one person ever involved in the Eon8 event and their true identity remains a mystery.

Time hasn't decided what direction this boards going to go in yet. Again, it all comes down to what the members make of it. For a while in the beginning our forte was researching other strange and mysterious sites but the enthusiasm for it eventually died down.

I hope that gave you a little more insight into the forums here.

Eon8

Thank you for your more detailed response. My interests with Neurocam is not to figure out the purpose, but the method. I am reasonably sure (about 93%) what their purpose is, only because I have had the same idea and have been developing it since. I see Neurocam generally as a failed experiment in what they set out to do- though they had the right idea, but missed quite a few things in the generation of the experience...

In some ways one could say I am undertaking a personal cultural study of these phenomena- I am curious about the design procedure for viral memes, especially those with a magical intent, like Neurocam or Fiat Nox (the latter much more obviously so...) I would greatly enjoy any discussion on them, and will freely share my thoughts and ideas of course, some of which may be of interest to people here.

Much of my Work and ideas I have refrained from sharing in public forum besides a few small and not very frequented blogs I have, and my small circle of compatriots. To be honest, I have never been one for internet forums generally- so many I have found crude or argumentative; I am one for open discussions and an exchange of ideas. Circumstance, necessity and synchronicity however are leading me out of my self-imposed digital isolation to reach out into the wider net for a place I can settle myself in a community, especially people with a better topography of the Web than myself (and that share the same passion as myself for the strange, the occult and the magical.)

However, I must say that I am very pleased with the greeting I have been given here. It has been quite a long time since I tried to integrate into a digital community, but I have a very good feeling in this place. It makes sense to me in my own odd context to find myself in a forum that is a marker for a meme such as E8- it appears to be an early experiment in the same vein as my own work.

I am curious what the requirements for the private aspect of the forum are? I will gladly participate out here of course, but I would love to discuss aspects of my own work which I consider more private in nature--- though of course, I suppose the requirements allow the two parties, myself and the private group, to be able to gauge the level of trust and compatibility. Just a question though.

Overall then I am glad to see I have found my way to a fresh space- perhaps that is why it feels good to me. I like blank canvases- the meme pool here has not yet been concertized, not has its theme been really solidified. That is my kind of place to be. I look forward to seeing how things unfold here as I settle myself in and get to know yourself and the other frequenters of the board.

Finally, may I inquire as to how many regulars are here currently?

Welcome to eon8, as i recall, the requirements for the private sector are 500 posts, or admin permission to acess it.

Well see heres the thing with this forum. I hate what the majority of message boards have become. Anybody whos spent any time on them knows what i'm talking about. I'm sick of every person acting and posting like they're ten years old, and i'm tired of the graphical and textual fads that make up the majority of posts at these places. Its fine to do things in moderation but when it gets out of hand like it has then theres a problem. What I hate more than anything is when this stupid internet stuff thats out there spills over into reality. What i'm getting at is that i'm looking for more mature users who can carry a decent conversation with respect to others opinions. Not a bunch of keyboard warriors like a lot of the online populace has become.

Its going to take some time to become an active community since we've only been here a year but people simply need to spread the word. We only have around five regular members who do all they can to be active but after a while you run out of things to say. Picture being in an empty room for a year and having only four others who are there the most to talk to. You can see how that can become stale.

Dimension 8 (needs a better name) is the only restricted part of the forum. The only requirement is 500 posts and moderator/admin approval. But if you stick around long enough and become a well trusted member you can have access.

I am in full agreement; I have avoided web forums for a long time because they always seem to be full of people either looking to stroke their own ego's by arguing, often on and on, or posting inane and time wasting things. I am looking for a place where I can engage in meaningful discussion about the things of greatest interest to me- conspiracy, magick, mimetics, technology, human evolution- essentially intelligent speculation and a pooling of ideas. There are quite a few thought experiments I am engaged in that i would love to be able to share with individuals here on the net; but of course, the environment to such discussion is crucial--- some ideas are not made for general consumption.

I think a big part of generating a space of interest is establishing a firm... theme for idea's to spread; the structure of a forums rooms is essential. If you have ever had a chance to check out Tool Army, they have a great set up; it is structured like a Western Lodge. Often it is the promise of mystery that draws people in, a chance to make themselves a home, and a good variety of interesting conversation. Hard to engineer though; takes a solid foundation of contributing creative individuals.

I think besides spreading the word, engineering the memes and the format of the board is key; the most interesting sites I find have the most interesting categories, and also have a large amount of information which the members have culled from all over the net. for myself, a board gets better as the variety of members increases who harvest the best morsels of the net- turning the board into a sort of net rabbit hole (especially with conspiracy boards which spin off into the realm of the "real" world.)

Just a few thoughts though. Actually, speaking of which.... gonna go start a new thread.

-Initiate