Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Nauren

How Halo 3 is the polar opposite of a good game.

21 posts in this topic

First off, Halo was about 3 races, Human, Covenant, Flood.

Now let's get a good RTS in here, Starcraft.

Terran = Marines.

Protoss = Covenant.

Zerg = Flood.

This is one of my points, the races in the game are not innovative.

Now from Halo 3 (and all of the others.), it seems that the Flood are trying to take over the universe.

Zerg entry from StarcraftWiki,

"The zerg are a terrifying and ruthless amalgamation of biologically advanced, arthropodal aliens. Dedicated to the pursuit of genetic perfection, the zerg relentlessly hunt down and assimilate advanced species across the galaxy, incorporating useful genetic code into their own, and exterminate any species that might corrupt the purity of the zerg genome."

Now the Zerg seem VERY familiar to the flood,

The zerg are like the intelligent version of the flood.

Now, onto Terran,

"The terrans are a young technology species with psionic potential. The terrans of the Koprulu Sector descend from the survivors of a 23rd century colonization mission from Earth. Compared to the protoss and zerg, the terrans are highly factionalized and endure frequent wars amongst themselves in addition to the more recent conflicts with their alien neighbors."

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Terran#ixzz0KJwcV0Vi&D

Sounds like the UNSC a little bit, doesn't it? The only difference is that they lack technology and other things.

Onto the Protoss,

"The protoss are a sentient humanoid race native to Aiur. They are technologically advanced and rely on psionic abilities and cybernetics in battle. They are the primary opponents of the zerg. The protoss of Aiur are highly religious and follow a strict code known as the Khala.[1] The protoss have mastered their psionic powers and were recently engaged in a devastating war with the zerg. They have also had to deal with civil wars within their ranks.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Protoss#ixzz0KJx98zSx&D

"

This sounds alot like the plot of Halo 1-2. So no innovative plot.

Onto the multiplayer.....

Not fun, Not fun at all. First of all, you COLLECT weapons from the map instead of starting with them, which means whoever has the "rockets" and "shotties" wins. Also, since it is a CONSOLE fps, you will be expecting alot of 9 year old homophobic white-supremacists. Forge mode is shit, has a shit-load of restrictions, no freezing "props" like in Garry's Mod, the only fun time I had with Halo was recording "machinimas" when I was really young. And in multiplayer, there is BARELY any good armor. Most people boost in online and feel smug about it, the achievements are too easy, and ID make much better games.

This is the final part, the company......

Bungie, is SHIT. Worse than EA. They spew and regurgitate the same number of the day they made a shitty DooM ripoff, Marathon. And worst of all, they put it EVERYWHERE. It's ok to make a few references, but they go INSANE with the number, put it everywhere a player can see. Bungie Day is coming up, so I don't really give a shit what they think.

Halo 3: ODST and Halo : Reach look like shitty, FPS versions of Gears of War. I really hope this changes your opinion about Bungie.

ID, 3D Realms, Free Radical, Valve, Old Blizzard, Interplay, Black Isle, and Bethesda for life!

If I am forgetting anyone, then them for life, too!

BTW: Gear of War would be good if it wasn't, as I would say, con-tarded.

ID hasn't done so well ever since they got sold to Zenimax (correct me if im wrong), and then again, i dont like the xbox, or xbox 360 one bit, or any halo games for that matter. ID used to make games that were the shit, like quake, quake 2 quake 3, doom, doom 2, ETC.

Remember Data East? They went out of business and sold the rights to all of there games to a few different companies. The thing is there are a few games still uncounted for. If we pooled our money together we could probably by them. :tongue:

halo3 was great when it 1st came out. then bungie completly screwed it up the a$$ nd changed EVRYTHING. also, the retarted part is that it takes a year nd a day 2 kill ppl nd they can jump 50' in the air 2 dodge the bullets

I don't get the point of this discussion at all. I like games for this reason: I like to shoot things, even if I'm not actually holding a weapon. I like half-decent story lines to go with my mindless shooting and destruction. Also: I take games as forms of entertainment, and don't nitpick when things get referenced or even copied. Innovation is dead. Every single "new" game/movie/book has the same plot re-hashed, edited, or reworded. Save X from Y. Find out why this event happened. Play through [insert movie name here]; it's just as awesome as when you saw the exact same plot in theaters, I promise! Try to discover your (character's) past! Be a part of history and goes through true-story missions from WWwhatever or some other random conflict! You're a hardboiled badass who kills for money... but your employer double crossed you/kidnapped your family/got to ze choppa/whatever. The list goes on. If you spend your time looking for new things in said forms of entertainment, you will find only disappointment.

/end rant/

As far as Halo and Bungie go, I have no issues against Bungie as a whole, but am pissed at them for taking Halo 3's multiplayer and making it mandatory to buy the new maps in order to play certain game types online. That's pretty ridiculous considering many people who spend time playing vidja games are majorly or partially broke.

I don't get the point of this discussion at all. I like games for this reason: I like to shoot things, even if I'm not actually holding a weapon. I like half-decent story lines to go with my mindless shooting and destruction. Also: I take games as forms of entertainment, and don't nitpick when things get referenced or even copied. Innovation is dead. Every single "new" game/movie/book has the same plot re-hashed, edited, or reworded. Save X from Y. Find out why this event happened. Play through [insert movie name here]; it's just as awesome as when you saw the exact same plot in theaters, I promise! Try to discover your (character's) past! Be a part of history and goes through true-story missions from WWwhatever or some other random conflict! You're a hardboiled badass who kills for money... but your employer double crossed you/kidnapped your family/got to ze choppa/whatever. The list goes on. If you spend your time looking for new things in said forms of entertainment, you will find only disappointment.

/end rant/

As far as Halo and Bungie go, I have no issues against Bungie as a whole, but am pissed at them for taking Halo 3's multiplayer and making it mandatory to buy the new maps in order to play certain game types online. That's pretty ridiculous considering many people who spend time playing vidja games are majorly or partially broke.

ur rite. thats what makes games fun

I don't really want to type much right now, but this topic's title is 100% true. Halo 3 is just not a great game... It's very cliche in the story, and the online community sucks... it's not a balanced FPS, and really it's just meant for the casual gamer...

However, if you like Halo, then that's what you like... It doesn't matter to me, just in my opinion it sucks... compeltly... and I really really really hate the fucking game so much with a passion >>; It's ruined the hardcore gamer scene, and brought jocks, and other fags into playing Halo, and then saying they're a hardcore gamer. Please... x_x;... And yet when you say something like "Oh, you remember back in Quake 2-" they're like "-Huh? I only play 360 man, the first console ever was Xbox." ... Lol.

True, i guess bungie F****D up gaming permanently, and until they are gone, gaming will be F****D up

Sigh... I still like it <_<

I've been gaming off and on since the original nintendo with the simple d-pad, select, start, a, b setup, but I guess in the end I really am just a casual gamer, in the opinions of the members of this forum. :hurt:

It doesn't matter what type of gamer you are as long as you're happy. The older people get the less they play video games so its best to enjoy it while you're still relatively young. :smile:

Sigh... I still like it <_<

I've been gaming off and on since the original nintendo with the simple d-pad, select, start, a, b setup, but I guess in the end I really am just a casual gamer, in the opinions of the members of this forum. :hurt:

xD If you like it, that's what counts. I was just saying that people who have never toutched anything besides an Xbox. If you've been playing since NES, then that's sw33t ^^, And you obviously would know what I'm talking about when I said "Konami Code" XD or Contra. Man I loved Contra xD

iv been playing since nintendo 64. nd also the gamboy color(my 1st evry piece of gaming technology)

Heh, N64 was such a great console. And the gameboy color is just a very awesome classic. XD

The first ever thing I ever toutched that had to do with gaming was the SNES, and I remember playing Super Mario Kart and Super Metroid (Two games of which I still frequently revisit today), and now the rest is history. I'm a friggen addict xD;;

its amazing 2 see how far technology has come in the past 10 yrs. its also kinda sad 2 see when games go from extremely popular to nobody playing it

First off, Halo was about 3 races, Human, Covenant, Flood.

Now let's get a good RTS in here, Starcraft.

Terran = Marines.

Protoss = Covenant.

Zerg = Flood.

This is one of my points, the races in the game are not innovative.

Now from Halo 3 (and all of the others.), it seems that the Flood are trying to take over the universe.

Zerg entry from StarcraftWiki,

"The zerg are a terrifying and ruthless amalgamation of biologically advanced, arthropodal aliens. Dedicated to the pursuit of genetic perfection, the zerg relentlessly hunt down and assimilate advanced species across the galaxy, incorporating useful genetic code into their own, and exterminate any species that might corrupt the purity of the zerg genome."

Now the Zerg seem VERY familiar to the flood,

The zerg are like the intelligent version of the flood.

Now, onto Terran,

"The terrans are a young technology species with psionic potential. The terrans of the Koprulu Sector descend from the survivors of a 23rd century colonization mission from Earth. Compared to the protoss and zerg, the terrans are highly factionalized and endure frequent wars amongst themselves in addition to the more recent conflicts with their alien neighbors."

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Terran#ixzz0KJwcV0Vi&D

Sounds like the UNSC a little bit, doesn't it? The only difference is that they lack technology and other things.

Onto the Protoss,

"The protoss are a sentient humanoid race native to Aiur. They are technologically advanced and rely on psionic abilities and cybernetics in battle. They are the primary opponents of the zerg. The protoss of Aiur are highly religious and follow a strict code known as the Khala.[1] The protoss have mastered their psionic powers and were recently engaged in a devastating war with the zerg. They have also had to deal with civil wars within their ranks.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Protoss#ixzz0KJx98zSx&D

"

This sounds alot like the plot of Halo 1-2. So no innovative plot.

The first problem with this argument is the fact that you talked down your own game. You compared the three races of Terran, Zerg and Protoss to The Covenant, The Flood and The UNSC, and then continued to say that the charcters/races are not innovative.

The second problem with this argument is that there are more than three races. The covenant is more than one race, hence the name. The covenant includes Grunts, Drones, Brutes, Jackals, Hunters, Engineers, and before Halo 3, Elites. The Prophets are also a race of their own.

That brings the Covenant to a grand total of eight. Then add to that the UNSC and The Flood - 10.

Onto the multiplayer.....

Not fun, Not fun at all. First of all, you COLLECT weapons from the map instead of starting with them, which means whoever has the "rockets" and "shotties" wins. Also, since it is a CONSOLE fps, you will be expecting alot of 9 year old homophobic white-supremacists. Forge mode is shit, has a shit-load of restrictions, no freezing "props" like in Garry's Mod, the only fun time I had with Halo was recording "machinimas" when I was really young. And in multiplayer, there is BARELY any good armor. Most people boost in online and feel smug about it, the achievements are too easy, and ID make much better games.

I probably shouldn't even bother to argue this, seeing as how fun is more of an opinion. But need I remind you that Halo 3 has only dropped to 3rd most played game on Xbox Live for two months. That was during the release of Grand Theft Auto IV. Any other time it has dropped to second place was during the release of a highly anticipated game, such as Gears of War 2. Other than that, it has constantly stayed at #1 most played on Xbox Live.

People may stop playing for awhile, but they always seem to return. I wonder why that is?

This is the final part, the company......

Bungie, is SHIT. Worse than EA. They spew and regurgitate the same number of the day they made a shitty DooM ripoff, Marathon. And worst of all, they put it EVERYWHERE. It's ok to make a few references, but they go INSANE with the number, put it everywhere a player can see. Bungie Day is coming up, so I don't really give a shit what they think.

Halo 3: ODST and Halo : Reach look like shitty, FPS versions of Gears of War. I really hope this changes your opinion about Bungie.

ID, 3D Realms, Free Radical, Valve, Old Blizzard, Interplay, Black Isle, and Bethesda for life!

If I am forgetting anyone, then them for life, too!

BTW: Gear of War would be good if it wasn't, as I would say, con-tarded.

A DooM rippoff you say? Why would you even say that? Is it because both of them are a 3D FPS made around the same time? Because that's really all you have.

I don't remember DooM having Juggernaut, VIP, KoTH, Territories, CTF or Assault gametypes.

And Bethesda? Have you ever even played one of their games even once? The Elder Scrolls series is littered with easter eggs referencing to other games and movies; Far more than Bungie references anything ever.

You don't even know do you?

Well, let me fill you in.

The Imperial Library

This is an Elder Scrolls fan site dedicating to chronicling every book, every note, every reference, every map, and every piece of dialogue in the series.

And here is a link to just references and easter eggs in TES III Morrowind.

Elder Scrolls III Morrowind Easter Eggs

Now onto destroying other developers you seem to favor so much, beginning with 3Drealms.

3Drealms.com

I forgot who these guys are, but the horrible web design pissed me off. But after my retinas stopped burning so damn much, I noticed something. These are the guys who made Duke Nukem! I got so excited, but then I remembered that they also made Prey.

Prey was a good launch title, but beyond that, horrible. Why?

Try to find a match on Xbox Live.

Free Radical Design Closes it's Doors

I don't need to say any more.......................but I will.

Free Radical Design made Timesplitters.

It now makes sense to me why you dislike Halo.

Because you don't like good games.

But I could be wrong, you do of course mention ValvE and Bethesda. Those, and Blizzard on a good day, are really the only other developers worthy of mentioning in the same sentence with Bungie.

I'm usually one to back off and respect others' opinions, which I still do, but this argument was so painfully invalid that it hurts me to look at.

Go ahead and hate the Halo series, it's fine with me. But if you're going to complain about it, make your argument at least halfway decent.

xD If you like it, that's what counts. I was just saying that people who have never toutched anything besides an Xbox. If you've been playing since NES, then that's sw33t ^^, And you obviously would know what I'm talking about when I said "Konami Code" XD or Contra. Man I loved Contra xD

Konami Code? Ugh.. The extra account you have to make just to play MGO? I hated doing that, but MGO isn't too bad.

*edit*

I've never liked Halo. It's good for people who just like to mindlessly run around and shoot things (casual gamer?), but as far as good FPS's go, Killzone 2 and Far Cry 2 all the way... At least in my opinion.

Konami Code? Ugh.. The extra account you have to make just to play MGO? I hated doing that, but MGO isn't too bad.

*edit*

I've never liked Halo. It's good for people who just like to mindlessly run around and shoot things (casual gamer?), but as far as good FPS's go, Killzone 2 and Far Cry 2 all the way... At least in my opinion.

Farcry 2 Was pretty f*****g good