Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Nauren

EON8 should bring www.eon8.com/security back up.

18 posts in this topic

I forget how it looked exactly or how it was coded. :indifferent: If I tried hard enough I might be able to get into contact with the guy who created the original site.

You Should, I remember when Eon8 started going mainstream and started scaring everyone because of the deployment countdown timer. It was a time to remember. If I remember correctly it was made by a web designer in Florida doing a study on human reaction. Good Times.

The security page was basically a white/blacklist of sites which people had been referred by, it also contained a few fake http requests.

http://eon8ytmnd.ytmnd.com/ shows what the page looked like.

Also loving what you've done to the forum since 08, kinda given me a reason to post instead of lurk now.

The odd thing is i've been thinking about this for the last few days. I've tried to use the Internet Archive to see what the HTML looked like but it hasn't been working correctly. If its not too difficult I would like to at least put the security page back up.

Thanks for the compliment. :smile: Its tough to make the board look halfway decent as there aren't a lot of skin choices unfortunately.

The odd thing is i've been thinking about this for the last few days. I've tried to use the Internet Archive to see what the HTML looked like but it hasn't been working correctly. If its not too difficult I would like to at least put the security page back up.

Thanks for the compliment. :smile: Its tough to make the board look halfway decent as there aren't a lot of skin choices unfortunately.

It should be pretty easy to do, if you have somesort of stats script running in the backend which detects all sites hits you could use that to link off, the other alternative is to make the page pull of the last 15 referrals, compair them to a whitelist and say if it's a verfied site or not.

Then on the top part have a few verified links as showing in that image on ytmnd.

The php backend shouldn't be that hard to do and the layout is piss to be honest.

Also sometimes it can payoff to use a handmade theme and not one made by a company, but I do like this one more than what you had in 08.

After reading some of the question and answer sessions with the original creator of the site that seems to be pretty much how he did it. We'll have to see how things go and maybe down the road one night when i'm bored i'll play around with it.

Be nice to see more parts of the original site come back.

If you need any more help hunting down on sections I'll be happy to help.

It would be a very good idea, for it adds that slant of secrative and fortified feeling to the site. However, the eye does nothing but scare people away. I did a small social experiment at the HS I attend. I posted the URL in on the white board in the Mac Lab, and the PC lab. 13 students a split of 6:7, Mac to PC all went to the URL. 7 total left the site as soon as the eye appeared, most feared it was a screamer, & instead of intriguing the students they left in fear. Anyone have some ideas for some new /security content?

It would be a very good idea, for it adds that slant of secrative and fortified feeling to the site. However, the eye does nothing but scare people away. I did a small social experiment at the HS I attend. I posted the URL in on the white board in the Mac Lab, and the PC lab. 13 students a split of 6:7, Mac to PC all went to the URL. 7 total left the site as soon as the eye appeared, most feared it was a screamer, & instead of intriguing the students they left in fear. Anyone have some ideas for some new /security content?

Could just have a song or something.

Though it does beg the question, do you really want the people who are scared of something like that on this forum? :indifferent:

I'm open to ideas. The eye gif is not linked to any particular page. Its just something you're supposed get in place of an error 404 page. It was meant to be scary but now that you said that it makes me think there should be something else.

What you talking about, I love the eye.

It adds to the whole mystery and spookyness of what eon8 was.

Speaking of hell.com has anyone seen the new design they got?

Looks pretty cool- though they change it every couple days, it seems

EDIT: Select all text when(if) you go to hell.com

Hmm... Yeah, I like all the suggestions. Never been to hell.com but from what I hear the Intro is scary or something of that sort?

Could just have a song or something.

Though it does beg the question, do you really want the people who are scared of something like that on this forum? :indifferent:

Good Point, "If you cant stand the ehat, then get out of the kitchen" applies here.