Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
EON8

Krakatoa !!!

23 posts in this topic

Killer volcano that claimed 36,000 lives stirs once more

An amateur photographer has captured new images of the re-awakening of the world's most famous volcano.

In a breathtaking series Marco Fulle, who specializes in shots of comets, has photographed the Anak Krakatoa against a backdrop of constellations such as the Big Dipper.

These stunning pictures show the latest activity during the rebirth of the infamous volcano which holds a long-standing record for causing the highest number of human deaths ever - a staggering 36,000 in 1883.

article-1203028-05E123FE000005DC-907_964x411.jpg

article-1203028-05E0FE2D000005DC-341_964x508.jpg

Marco, 51, from Trieste, Italy, last month captured these images of the waking monster and even caught a violent storm passing over the new cone.

The ticking time-bomb can be seen spewing ash into the Indonesian sky between Java and Sumatra where it lies on the Sunda Strait.

Lava can also be seen trickling down the side of the new slopes that have quickly grown to a towering 360 meters. It now measures half of the size of the original mound that ended so many lives.

Marco said: 'These volcanos repeat explosions like that of 1883 many times during their life. The common opinion is that Krakatoa will become again really dangerous when it reaches the size it had been in 1883. It was two-times taller than now.'

article-1203028-05E11C9B000005DC-986_964x513.jpg

article-1203028-05E11C70000005DC-338_964x519.jpg

article-1203028-05E123F2000005DC-251_964x517.jpg

Simmering Anak Krakatoa - translated as 'Child of Krakatoa' - is the offspring of the original giant cone which snuffed out over 36,000 lives in a single super-eruption over 100 years ago.

In an ongoing saga Anak Krakatoa is a new volcano that is emerging from the remains of the former giant beast which blew itself apart.

The colossal 19th century disaster is so renowned it has featured in movies and is regarded by many as the most famous on earth.

The explosion was so devastating it equaled 13,000 times the power of Little Boy - the American A-bomb dropped on Hiroshima, Japan, in World War II.

article-1203028-05E123E2000005DC-967_964x538.jpg

Now locals are fearing a repetition of the original eruption that not only killed thousands in fire, but also sparked a tsunami.

The huge wave took more lives and was caused by masses of rock falling into the water below as the volcano-island destroyed itself and collapsed into the ocean.

Many more perished suffering from the effects of falling hot ashes and poison gases which smothered the surrounding lands.

The reborn volcano, Anak, has been steadily growing out of its predecessor's remains since 1927.

article-1203028-05E11CB6000005DC-941_964x540.jpg

The land around it is building up as cycles of activity force fresh molten rock to spew out of the crater at its center, creating new layers of solid ground.

In November 2007 it started violently erupting again but islanders thought they had escaped another potential disaster when everything went quiet last year.

This spring, however, the new mountain started rumbling again. The eruptions have become so fierce they light up overhead clouds and draw in violent thunderstorms as the atmosphere changes.

article-1203028-05E11CA9000005DC-540_964x536.jpg

those r really great pics. i like the 2nd and the 4th 1s the best and the 2nd 1 is now my wallpaper. my previous wallpaper was the gears2 symbol

Those are amazing pictures, Nice find :wink:

Wholey shit... Agreed...

Those are some fucking amazing pictures ... Definatley saving those...

I've always wanted to get like real close to a volcano, when it's active... (Yes, I know that's a retarded idea) Just to see all that lava... It's so... memorizing

u mean 'holy shit' and 'its so mezmorizing'. and also, i heard lava produces some sort of radiation (i believe its UV)

xD Sorry, I don't know how to spell.

Anyway, yeah I would guess that it would emit UV radiation, since it's quite like the sun... Although I don't know if lava classifies as a plazma... does it?

I always thought fire if hot enough was a plasma. My high school science teacher said it was and I think I recall the text books saying it was as well. I googled around a bit and apparently its debated whether it technically is or not. You're right about plasma generally having to do with electricity though.

im not pretending i know a lot about this stuff because i dont but when u think about it all lava is is molten rock which i would consider 'liquified'

I always thought fire if hot enough was a plasma. My high school science teacher said it was and I think I recall the text books saying it was as well. I googled around a bit and apparently its debated whether it technically is or not. You're right about plasma generally having to do with electricity though.

That's what I was taught too. And it'd make sense since the sun itself is just pretty much molten plasma. And I always thought lava was the same... It being a liquid almost doesn't make much sense to me since when it comes out it's always more like a goo, than a flowing liquid... it doesn't run like water.

but a liquid is anything that doesnt have a definate shape but can be contained in a container -> ex: glass of water. lava doesnt have a definate shape and can be conatined in some sort of container

Well, the sun is jut a ball of plasma, i think you would need temps like the sun to make plasma