Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
kxrxoxnxixc

Xubuntu

5 posts in this topic

It is as customizeable as Ubuntu, as it is based off the smae thing, but it's faster and more lightweight... Seems to run nicely, and it runs far better, haven't found a bug yet, except, when you go to logoff if you turn off "save settings for next logon" all your windows get fucked up and you have to type "xfwm4 --replace" to get them to work correctly again.... and than turn that little box back on.

I read up on it a little bit a few days ago and it said that its main use is for older computers. Due to the lack of sophisticated GUI and what not. With that being the case it must be extremely fast when used on modern computers.

Yeah, It is much more lightweight. I haven't really found a bug in it yet, except I broke all my windows by loading something on accident and than running it... Oh well, it was a simple fix though. But other than that, it runs a lot better than ubuntu.

From what I understand graphic wise this is each ones windows equivalent.

Xubuntu = windows 98

Ubuntu = windows xp

Kubuntu = windows vista

Perhaps, Xubuntu doesn't allow quite as much customization, but you can get a package called "Emerald" inwhich you can create your own window designs and everything of the such. Where as with Ubuntu, they have a program inwhich you can change the colors and size of stuff and all the madness you'd really ever want to. But I like the way Xubuntu looks by default, it's not super fancy, it's simple and elegant. But like I said, I haven't really looked into the equivalency as I use it mostly for programming and networking.