Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
kxrxoxnxixc

Re-learning programming...

17 posts in this topic

I figured, C was the predecessor to C++ so I have decided to go back to the basics and learn C, than read the book "C++: The Core Language" as it emphasizes on things that are redone/made simpler in C++, I figure I should learn the parent before the child. Yet C is more controllable by the looks of it.

I am also taking Assembly Language/Machine Architecture this semester, learning how to program at the L1 level supposedly, or that's what I was told, even though the book states L1 is microassembly, and L2 is OS and L3 is assembly and L0 is binary pretty much... Currently going to be reading "Practical C Programming 3rd edition".

I will keep you all posted as to what chapter I am in and the progress I am making...

Well I know one thing... It will be quite the experience. Like i've said in the past I took a programming class or two and it wasn't for me. I could see myself learning it a little bit maybe as a hobby but not for a living. Programmers make the big bucks though because its not one of the more popular occupations in the IT world.

Meh, Programmers (code monkeys) don't make a lot of money, unless you're the one of the few lucky ones to be the best in the group and get the project leader/manager position, but, for my possible career of Comp Engineering, I should be starting around 75-80'gs a year...

Learn from my mistake. Whatever you do don't ever decide to make house calls fixing computers. I only make between $3,000 and $6,000 a year. But its also partly my fault because I don't like working so I only do the minimum amount possible.

Yes, the only part I despise is the house call part. :thumbsdown: I've been doing it for almost eight years now and can't stand that part any longer. I won't go into detail about it because it would take at least an hour just to explain why.

Haha. The thing I come across a lot is people are dumb as hell. I don't even help with their computers and I find they are just ignorant.

I had a girl in my public speaking course last semester who didn't know how to send an e-mail. O.O;; Really? The girl was like 19-20 and didn't know how to email.

I think I would have to go with peoples ignorance as the main reason I don't want to make house calls any longer. 99.9% of the time they sit in a chair next to me the entire time and just say ridiculously retarded things over and over and over again.

Imagine hearing such gems like:

My computers fast it has 512 gigabytes.

Whats a browser? I use google. or I use google, yahoo, etc... for my browser.

Calling the tower the CPU.

How many songs fit on my sound card?

I want to download this into my email.

What about all the files in my monitor?

I store my documents in here. (recycle bin)

I don't have any antivirus because I don't go to bad sites.

This is not how my home page looked! How did it look? I don't remember.

Now imagine hearing things like that for however many hours you're at each job over a number of years. This is just the tip of the iceberg of why I despise making house calls.

My computers fast it has 512 gigabytes.

Calling the tower the CPU.

How many songs fit on my sound card?

What about all the files in my monitor?

I store my documents in here. (recycle bin)

I don't have any antivirus because I don't go to bad sites.

Those are My favorite out of that list

I can sit here for hours writing about all of the experiences i've had. Its just been one thing after another and i'm tired of it. I know how to do a lot of things but fixing home computers is the only one i'm good enough at to do for a living. There in lies the problem as I only have but three choices. Work for a computer repair shop, start my own computer repair shop, or make house calls aka a field technician.

I certainly don't want to be some peon working at someone elses shop. The owners of all the local ones around here are major scumbags so that leaves me with two remaining options. Open my own shop or make house calls.

My goal is to open my own repair shop. :grin: The problem is theres a lot of startup costs involved. I don't have that kind of money nor will be able to save that kind of money making house calls. I'm deeply in debt, have horrible credit, and no bank will give me a loan.

All I need is a tiny little place. I'm not going to have any kind of merchandise. Just computer repair and thats it. Heres why I can't save any money making house calls. I started really hating this "job" around two years ago and completely decided I no longer gave a shit. I started blowing off all my regular customers I had for years, and not returning many other calls. So of course with word getting around and all of that nobody really calls anymore. I've only been on two repair calls in a month. Luckily I had some money in the bank and the other night I found $80 I had in a bank envelope between some magazines. It had a turkey and cornucopia on it which tells me it must of been lost since thanksgiving (9 months ago) :laugh:

But anyways, I usually don't even make enough anymore to pay my bills at the end of the month never mind saving any to open my own storefront. So i'm stuck making these house calls for the foreseeable future. I just go on as few as possible.

Oh... I said I would keep everyone posted on how I was doing with the C programming... I'm currently halfway through chapter 6. I got through ch. 4 and 5 today since the g/f was at work and I had some free time.

It's hard to juggle the two. Both have great pay outs and expectations. But one has better pay outs. :wink:

Chapter 15 now... I think there's like 24 chapters in it, so im almost all the way through my C book, and once I finish it, I'll move on to Starting out with C++ Early Objects

I am currently re-learning VB. I have taken on a large database and have to learn it all over. This should prove fun. When I was in HS I took VB and two C++ classes the same year... I couldnt seperate my languages.

YEah i'm really not impressed with my current C++ course. It's two hours of a class bitching amongst each toher searching for a right answer, and than three programs assigned at the end.

We don't learn shit... We had to use overloaded operators on this current assignment, and he never taught us how to do so, so after 5 hours of scouring the internet for good articles and tutorials, I finally found a way to use only two of the million operators...

The class is junk.