Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

EON8

Computer Build

326 posts in this topic

My current computer is around seven years old. It's actually the first computer I ever built for myself. Even when it was new it was low end specification wise as I couldn't afford anything better. Heck, I only had 512mb of memory up until four years ago when I put in a gig. Well now its tired and is time to be retired. It had one hell of a run though theres no question about that!

Its my birthday this Saturday and i'll be getting some money that will help make this build possible. Since the total cost will be so great (for me anyways) the build will be spread out over the next three months. It will be completed shortly after Christmas since thats when i'll get the rest of the money to finish.

So far i've bought the processor and motherboard. The pricing requirements were that each had to cost under $200 dollars.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair III Formula

They both with shipping came to exactly $400 dollars.

:laugh: I think it might be about time.

I certainly don't need (specification wise) what i'm building as roughly 75% of my computer usage is internet related. What I have now is sufficient for that but I look at it this way... You can drive back and fourth to work in a Pinto but wouldn't it be a whole hell of a lot more fun in a Ferrari? :cool:

Plus it will probably have to last another seven years so I better buy the obscenely expensive stuff. :laugh:

Thats one hell of a fan! I would like my case to be semi quiet as its about 2 feet away from my head. I haven't even started looking for cases yet but thats next. I'm looking to spend in the $100 range. I can't justify spending too much on a case as it takes away money that can be spent inside. Though theres some nice ones out there for that price like the Smilodon case.

Pretty awesome, and eventually i'll get a new monitor (and I do need one) but right now its just a tower build.

just a word of advice. with fast rotating fans, get a grill for both sides...

this is what happens if your finger gets caught in the blades of a fast rotating fan by accident.

xlx8qg.jpg

fegqpk.jpg

(yes, those are my fingers, yes it did happen on two seperate occasions, yes, those are deep cuts, and yes, it did hurt and splatter blood everywhere. i had to clean the blood outta my case.) its been three weeks since those incidents happened, and those cuts still hurt really bad.

it happened when i accidentally brushed the power button. (forgot to unplug the computer)

Ouch, I've sliced my fingers open a couple different times on the cases but never the fans.

I've still only bought the motherboard and processor. Its tough now that I no longer have a credit card to use. But I still plan to have it finished by January after the holidays are over. I have $100 coming to me as a belated birthday present which will buy the case.

Im buying the components in the following order. Its not set in stone though as the order depends largely on funds.

Motherboard

Processor

Processor heatsink

Case

Power Supply

Drives

Memory

Hard Drive

Video Card(s)

Operating System

Its best to buy the case first when building a computer but ah well. It doesn't really matter.

Sounds good

Instead of buying parts for mine this month like the plan was, I spent all the money on buying the Run of the Mill Search Engine domain name.

Tuniq tower 120? thats a really good heatsink. i had that thing running on my old dell box, and it served me pretty well.

The ram looks pretty good. G-Skill is a good manufacturer

Plextor dvd/cd drive? also a good choice

the case looks good too.

One note about those velociraptors, Make sure you have a fan pointed on them. they get hot quick, but they are damn fast drives, probably as close as you could get to SSD speeds without spending a boatload

Mabye get this hard drive cooler?

(Click here)

Its only 4 bucks, and it can extend the lifetime of your hard drive by a lot

I spent a lot of time researching what would be the absolutely best for me with my budget. I read countless posts, reviews, articles, etc... Weighed pros and cons of various products, specs, manufactures, etc... I'm very happy with the choices I made thus far. The only thing I'm unsure of is if I still want to use the Tuniq tower 120 I bought. Its the new extreme version and should be completely sufficient for my needs but I've since fallen in love with the Noctua NH-D14.

Yup, I know about the Velociraptor drives running hot. I haven't decided what cooler I'm going to use with it yet. My old hard drive of seven years was a Raptor. I ran this cooler on it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835888105 I couldn't of been happier with that hard drive is the reason why I'm going with a Velociraptor now. I could have bought a SSD but I feel the technology is still too new yet to warrant using one. They are the wave of the future though and thats for certain!

I spent a lot of time researching what would be the absolutely best for me with my budget. I read countless posts, reviews, articles, etc... Weighed pros and cons of various products, specs, manufactures, etc... I'm very happy with the choices I made thus far. The only thing I'm unsure of is if I still want to use the Tuniq tower 120 I bought. Its the new extreme version and should be completely sufficient for my needs but I've since fallen in love with the Noctua NH-D14.

Yup, I know about the Velociraptor drives running hot. I haven't decided what cooler I'm going to use with it yet. My old hard drive of seven years was a Raptor. I ran this cooler on it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835888105 I couldn't of been happier with that hard drive is the reason why I'm going with a Velociraptor now. I could have bought a SSD but I feel the technology is still too new yet to warrant using one. They are the wave of the future though and thats for certain!

Yeah, if only i could get the money for this-(Click Here)

(which will probably be in my computer build if i ever get the money for it)

Noctua Fans? theyre okay. personally i like silenx fans better because they pull/push more air, but they have less static pressure.

static pressure makes no difference unless your using water-cooling.

What do you think of the Megahalems heat sink? That thing seems to be extremely popular and the measuring stick for all other heat sinks. I just didn't like the idea from a price perspective of having to buy the fans separately for it. The Tuniq tower 120 Extreme and the Noctua NH-D14 might not be the top things out there but for the price its hard to beat them.

What would you suggest for a heat sink?