Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
kxrxoxnxixc

Nasty old virus

19 posts in this topic

Tell about the worst virus you, or a friend, have ever contracted on a computer.

Mine

The other day, my g/f's friend asked for a program, so I found it and loaded it on her computer, and ofcourse it came with a crack. I began to load it, and her anti-virus started freakin out sayin there was a virus, I naturally assumed it was the crack(As they are considered virus's/trojan's).

So I get out of Calc the other day, and she says her computer isn't working. I go there and try and start fixing it, and low and behold it is really messed up... The symptoms included:

Computer was placed in admin mode, for replication with-out permission

Everything loaded (post virus) on the computer, was instantly rendered useless by the virus deleting the path

Explorer.exe was lost, and could not be found

All default microsoft programs were rendered useless

Everything that was accessed was instantly infected and inevitably rendered useless

Control panel and all options of such, were unable to be found, saying "No such file or directory"

CMD prompt, was deleted and unable to be found

Needless to say, I had to do a complete system reboot and reload windows back onto it... It was nashty.

I like seeing computers like that because it means $175 for me as thats what I charge for a reformat. happy0002.gif

The most virus infested computer I ever worked on was a laptop that had 18,162 virus/trojans etc... on it. Every time one was detected the computer would loudly beep. It beeping over 18,000 times for an hour and a half was slightly annoying. I ended up covering the thing in a blanket to try and muffle the noise.

picture183f.jpg

It was so incredibly bad that it physically damaged the hard drive!

The guy who owned it was a jerk about it too. After I explained everything to him He tried to pull shit about his computer being shot only after I worked on it. I ended up getting in a small verbal fight with him, and needless to say I never heard from him again. What irked me all the more was the fact he was a semi-regular customer.

Theres been a couple different instances where i've gotten into verbal altercations with customers. One time I had to restrain myself from throwing punches and another time I had rocks thrown at me. I could write a book of all the experiences i've had over the last eight years of going into peoples homes to fix computers. :thumbsdown:

Damn. People get angry when their expensive computer blows up because they can't keep it running properly.

Exactly, and they look at me as a good scapegoat to place the blame on because god forbid if they blamed themselves. *gasp!*

Theres also been many a time where I've worked hard to fixed a computer in which they re-fucked up two days later. They call me all in a huff saying things like:

"I thought you fixed this thing?!"

"You need to come back here (for free) as its still not fixed!"

"You didn't fix it good enough!"

"What did I pay you for?!"

I tell them it was completely fixed and making false accusations is like driving their car into a tree, getting it fixed and then driving into a tree again. Would they return to the autobody shop saying Look at the front of my car! I thought you fixed this?!

After I give them that little analogy it usually shuts them up. :tongue:

Haha, 18,000+ virus's/trojans is outrageous. I would ahve told them to get a new computer and their shit was fucked for good. I think the most I have ever found on my computer was one or two... At most. the whole time I have owned it.

Bringing this up has made me remember a little more about it since it was a few years ago. I remember I did tell him he needed a new laptop. I took the picture of the screen (print screen wouldn't work) as proof to show him why his laptop was trashed. But of course being too stupid he couldn't comprehend what was being shown or told to him. Thats why we got into a heated argument over it.

Especially since it was an older one. It was also covered in saw dust inside and out since he owned a wood working shop. All in all it was never maintained properly and abused.

The worst virus infestation ive ever had was that worm called code red. it was back in 2000 in a pentium 3 machine. when i would turn on the computer. it would boot just fine and dandy. UNTIL everything was loaded, and then it would pop up a box with the "X" grayed out. the box would say "now shutting down in 20 seconds" and it would count down, and then shut down after the timer was up.

Ive also had 6 botnets on one computer at one time, but i traced them back, and fucked up those hackers computers with some code injection. fucking stupid hackers left a trail of bread crumbs about six feet wide.

I have a feeling you're talking about the remote procedure call error in XP that restarts your computer in a minute or so and theres nothing you can do about it... Except for one trick! When this happens quickly set your clock back a year and the error changes from forcing the computer to restart in a minute to restart in a year. Now you have the ability to fix whatevers causing it.

windowsxpemergencyshutd.png

Haha, I hate it when people abuse or can't use computers, it's so annoying! :angry:

Especially when I tell them some advice(suggestion not forcing them to do to something) and they snap at me because they tell me "that's how I work."

Granted, I like to work a certain way too, but I do change my habits in order to get that extra second or so(yeah, I like to maximize my waking hours :laugh: )

I never saw this post, over the years of me and my family having family desktops, on 1 occasion, our desktop had 1,000+ viruses, I'm not sure what kinds they were or how we got them, I was like 7 or 8 at this time, I just remember my family talking about it.

I'm not sure about the other 2 or 3 times, but the last time I had a virus infestation, it was fortunate enough to finally have my own desktop; My cousin spent the night one weekend, we played games, I told him if he wanted to go on the internet, he had to unplug the cable from the X Box etc.

Well, next morning, I got on because I wanted to download some music, then BAM!

My desktop was completely wiped of all my programs (Even the main folders and .exe files were gone) and all my music and pictures, instead, the whole desktop was filled with folders, each filled with endless amounts of trojans, the folders had sub-folders' filled with even more.

The whole system was trashed and all of those affected our internet, it was ALL bad.

1,000+ viruses

Holy shit that's an insane amount of zerg infestation, jim.

I've had computers for about 4 years now and I can happily say that I've never gotten a virus before (PC too!)

It's all about them regular scans and not going to all those pr0n sites :P

Though, maybe what happened to you was the RIAA/MPIAA on your ass for downloading music :laugh:

Holy shit that's an insane amount of zerg infestation, jim.

I've had computers for about 4 years now and I can happily say that I've never gotten a virus before (PC too!)

It's all about them regular scans and not going to all those pr0n sites :P

Though, maybe what happened to you was the RIAA/MPIAA on your ass for downloading music :laugh:

You lucky son of a gun!

Well, I guess now that I understand it more, I've been doing scans much more than I used to do when I first had my comp. unfortunately though, I've still gotten some ugly errors here and there, as I've stated in other topics.

Haha, I know for a FACT is wasn't for the music, my cousin was furn the pr0n's and was trying to download directly from sites and whatnot, all in all, it was just flat out horrible.