Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
kxrxoxnxixc

Stem Cell research

Stem Cell, good or bad?   7 members have voted

1. 1. Should the medical field be allowed to pursue Stem Cell research with little to no government oversight?

• Yes
    • No
    • No way those god hating bastards!
    • Ofcourse you falsified baffoon

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

25 posts in this topic

Do you think scientists should be allowed to conduct stem cell research based on the medical benefits it claims or do you think they are just trying to play god and the studies should be banned?

There is actually a way to get stem cells without destroying an embryo.

Using that method, then yes.

Yeah, but I think it should be used no matter the condition. If an embryo has to be used, than use it. What's so wrong with using an embryo?

It has the potential to be a person.

Would you offer your unborn self to be killed for someone's benefit? Probably not. You'd most likely want to be born and live your life.

Meh, if I didn't know anything and I hadn't idea what "living" was, sure. It's kind of like donating organs, just at a different stage in life. It's no worse than abortion (which im for also). At least this way, the wasted embryo is going to good use.

I've seen the majority of those pictures already. Does that make me a bad person? Maybe its just a testament to my online viewing habits.

Haha, yeah, i've seen a lot of those pictures as well. Sure it's bad, but if it could save someone's life by something that is already going to die because the mother decided on the abortion, why let a perfectly good fetus go to waste?

I've seen the majority of those pictures already. Does that make me a bad person? Maybe its just a testament to my online viewing habits.

No. I've looked at dead people and shit. No worse than that.

Haha, yeah, i've seen a lot of those pictures as well. Sure it's bad, but if it could save someone's life by something that is already going to die because the mother decided on the abortion, why let a perfectly good fetus go to waste?

And as long as the mother isn't using abortion as a method of birth control, sure, why not.

Breeding or rather "Farming" embryos just to use them in scientific research isn't right. Now Ivan made a good point by stating that there are alternate methods for obtaining stem cells with out the use of human embryos. I think it is done by messing with skin cells in the hands of humans, if I'm correct. But its also important to have a moderate goverment over sight, but not so controlling to the point where scientific advances cannot be made without a barrage of controversy and CNN reports.

Yeah, that would be all good except for the fact that with government over sight, comes religious persecution. It's happened all through history where religion get's in the way of scientific advancement. Leave the scientist's to their science and the ideological religious fraternizing out of it. (lots of people in our gov't are VERY religious).

Yeah, that would be all good except for the fact that with government over sight, comes religious persecution. It's happened all through history where religion get's in the way of scientific advancement. Leave the scientist's to their science and the ideological religious fraternizing out of it. (lots of people in our gov't are VERY religious).

Government oversight and religious persecution? What are you talking about? Since when does the government persecute legitimate religions?

You seem to view religion as "That pesky little thing that always gets in the way". I'm in a bit of a bad mood today, but you're being a fucking moron. Don't go on a Jihad because of this post either. Science and education BEGAN in the church, and when you have no control over scientists be it governmental or moral control/restraints, things in the field of science can EASILY become dangerous. Science such as cloning, for example.

Science can bring great technologies, cures, etc. but it also has the potential to be the most destructive and dangerous thing in existence.

And many people in the government are religious? Again, you seem to see the government as some sort of theocratic state, when it really isn't.

Breeding or rather "Farming" embryos just to use them in scientific research isn't right. Now Ivan made a good point by stating that there are alternate methods for obtaining stem cells with out the use of human embryos. I think it is done by messing with skin cells in the hands of humans, if I'm correct. But its also important to have a moderate goverment over sight, but not so controlling to the point where scientific advances cannot be made without a barrage of controversy and CNN reports.

Interesting. Why not breed embryos? I don't see the problem with it, we breed animals like chicken, cows, etc, the same rule should be able to apply for human embryos. After all, we're animals as well, and people piss me off when they make humans sound like they're above all the other animals. I will say, however, that as humans, we all have the responsibility to take care of our fellow man(and animals), but this responsibility, again, does not make us better than other species.

On a side note, I'm for abortion(personally? No. Yes, it sounds confusing) simply because I don't think the people at the White House deserve to decide what these women actually have to go through.

The government has of course, used science for it's own benefits though. Not sure if anyone here has heard but a while ago, the government was taking the DNA of babies born in Minnesota, without the consent of the parents. Even if it may be for a good purpose and nothing bad would come of it, you can't take someone's personal information without asking them. But I digress.

When you start to view people as animals, it becomes incredibly easy to mistreat them. I lose the argument (Godwin's law) by saying, but Nazis viewed Jews as animals, or even less than animals.

Not to be a total Christfag, but we are all supposedly made in God's image.

Plus, our intellect DOES make us much better and higher being than animals. If we weren't so special, other species would be as smart as us by now.

When you start to view people as animals, it becomes incredibly easy to mistreat them. Breaking Godwin's law here, but Nazis viewed Jews as animals, or even less than animals.

Our intellect makes us greater than animals.

What?

That's a bit shortsighted don't you think? Tigers are faster, dogs have better smell, we just happen to have bigger brains. Hell, we're weaker than mostly all comparable animals. Human babies can't even support themselves without parents.

I hate it when people say because we're smarter we're better.

I look at the world through the eyes of the Internet. Its shown me that the human race as a whole isn't better than a lot of things. I'm unsure if thats how its always been or if thats the way its become. :indifferent:

Again, our intellect makes us better.

Wouldn't a lesser being NEED to rely on size, and muscle to adapt? We have our minds. Our minds, which have created the tallest buildings, the greatest (and worst) forms of government, and we have created weapons capable of destroying the entire planet.

What other forms of life could possibly match up to us?

Is it not an obvious truth that we are above all other forms of life on this planet?

Again, our intellect makes us better.

Wouldn't a lesser being NEED to rely on size, and muscle to adapt? We have our minds. Our minds, which have created the tallest buildings, the greatest (and worst) forms of government, and we have created weapons capable of destroying the entire planet.

What other forms of life could possibly match up to us?

Is it not an obvious truth that we are above all other forms of life on this planet?

Again, this is a flawed statement. If, for instance, a lion were to go in your house right now, would you be able to kill it with your intellect?

Would you be able to live the rest of your life in the wilderness, for example(without prior equipment)?

Does our intellect really make us better than other animals?

No, no, and no!

If we are so above other life forms, why is it then, than we need them with us to survive?

We humans are one of the weakest on the planet, look, we even die from organisms millions of times smaller than us.

Again, this is a flawed statement. If, for instance, a lion were to go in your house right now, would you be able to kill it with your intellect?

Would you be able to live the rest of your life in the wilderness, for example(without prior equipment)?

Does our intellect really make us better than other animals?

No, no, and no!

If we are so above other life forms, why is it then, than we need them with us to survive?

We humans are one of the weakest on the planet, look, we even die from organisms millions of times smaller than us.

You're not thinking it through, of course you can't use "intellect" to kill something. You use your intelligence to create something to defend yourself with. If you're arguing that physically we are weaker than other organisms, then yes you are correct.

And just like every other organism, we suffer from diseases. But we have modern medicine to help combat or even cure these diseases now don't we?

Live in the wilderness by ourselves? How do you think early man survived? Would we not be here if it were not for our evolution?

Again, our intellect makes us great. We have ability to create and destroy, dream and imagine.

With these abilities, we can come up with ways to adapt and overcome challenges.