Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
anewformation

HTML 5.0

20 posts in this topic

Wikipedia Page

Sounds promising from the looks of it

Tried to use the <video> tag in Opera 10.5, but it failed for some reason :devilmad:

What do you guys think(about HTML 5)?

HTML5 is not really that much of a new thing, it's been around since FireFox 3.5 and currently only FireFox and Safari's nightly builds support the <video> tag.

The leak of Opera's latest build though shows they are moving into supporting it, aswell as css3 at last.

But to be honest, Opera is a crap browser, Chrome is Googleware which likes to log everything... BIT LIKE SPYWARE and Safari is limited in places.

HTML5 is not really that much of a new thing, it's been around since FireFox 3.5 and currently only FireFox and Safari's nightly builds support the <video> tag.

The leak of Opera's latest build though shows they are moving into supporting it, aswell as css3 at last.

But to be honest, Opera is a crap browser, Chrome is Googleware which likes to log everything... BIT LIKE SPYWARE and Safari is limited in places.

So what your saying is, IE is the best? I agree with you on Chrome + Safari

I would love to use Fox, but it sucks on my machine and I never felt like trying to fix it.

Moving on, I fail to see the crappyness of Opera! :indifferent:

Fastest browser around, IMO, and the only thing the browser isn't compatible with is AOL :angry:

So what your saying is, IE is the best? I agree with you on Chrome + Safari

I would love to use Fox, but it sucks on my machine and I never felt like trying to fix it.

Moving on, I fail to see the crappyness of Opera! :indifferent:

Fastest browser around, IMO, and the only thing the browser isn't compatible with is AOL :angry:

I forgot to mention the plage of web development, hopefully IE9 will be half decent.

And fastest browser? Opera? Peh, thats bullshit.

Safari is currently the fastest browser out there in both resources and rendering.

The reasons behind why Opera is crap is down to its limited rendering engine, it can't even render most of css2.1 which EVEN IE CAN.

I forgot to mention the plage of web development, hopefully IE9 will be half decent.

And fastest browser? Opera? Peh, thats bullshit.

Safari is currently the fastest browser out there in both resources and rendering.

The reasons behind why Opera is crap is down to its limited rendering engine, it can't even render most of css2.1 which EVEN IE CAN.

I will agree with you on those points but the 10.5 pre alpha really fixes all of these

Opera has a new rendering engine, about 7x faster, I believe, and now supports CSS3(not sure, but logically, it should also support CSS2x now)

In my defense of Opera, I dug up Fox and Safari as they were collecting digital dust. Results?

Browsers used:

Opera 10.5 pre-alpha

Firefox 3.6

Safari 4

---------------------

ACID 3 TEST:

I performed the acid3 test on all 3 browsers and here's the results

SPEED:

1. Opera

2. Firefox

3. Safari

While Opera was the fastest (about 2 seconds), Safari was the slowest and most jerky taking about 6 seconds

FINAL RENDER:

1. Safari

2. Opera

3. Firefox

Safari and Opera both finished at 100% with correctly matching tiles, while Fox stopped at 94% and had incorrect colors

Safari's final render was the best, however, matching the test render exactly, while Opera was off by about 5 pixels

-----------------

I also started all 3 programs and looked at my Task manager:

35bxk6h.jpg

Safari in fact used the most resources, while Opera used the least, about half of Safari's total

No programs had any add-ons installed

Basically, Opera is awesome :tongue:

Not to go off topic but anybody remember the browser NeoPlanet? Thats been the only other browser (besides Firefox) I've ever used for any length of time. This was back when it was first released in the late 90's. I wonder if its still around? *Goes to look...* Well there still seems to be a website but its empty and the link to download it doesn't work anymore. Ah well not that I would use it over Firefox anyway. One of the coolest things I remember about it was when you opened the browser it said in a woman's voice "NeoPlanet Online"

Not to go off topic but anybody remember the browser NeoPlanet? Thats been the only other browser (besides Firefox) I've ever used for any length of time. This was back when it was first released in the late 90's. I wonder if its still around? *Goes to look...* Well there still seems to be a website but its empty and the link to download it doesn't work anymore. Ah well not that I would use it over Firefox anyway. One of the coolest things I remember about it was when you opened the browser it said in a woman's voice "NeoPlanet Online"

Nope, I do remember Netscape, even though I never used it :deviltongue:

I wish Netscape would make a come back. If only for nostalgia purposes.

Son of a bitch! I haven't looked up Netscape in a number of years so I just did and what I found upset me. Apparently because of Firefox they've ditched it! :sad:

Firefox is my favorite browser and all but now I have a bit of resentment towards them for ending the lives of other browsers. Especially ones that had a hand in the beginning of the Internet.

I wish Netscape would make a come back. If only for nostalgia purposes.

Son of a bitch! I haven't looked up Netscape in a number of years so I just did and what I found upset me. Apparently because of Firefox they've ditched it! :sad:

Firefox is my favorite browser and all but now I have a bit of resentment towards them for ending the lives of other browsers. Especially ones that had a hand in the beginning of the Internet.

Technically, Netscape lives on in Fox, seeing as how NN was the base for Fox. Personally, I think it's Microsoft at fault for having IE installed on Windows machines, but hey, you can't really blame 'em. Just know that when you use Firefox, a part of Netscape lives on.... sort of...

And EON8, you really must update your sig, the picture is gone.

I will agree with you on those points but the 10.5 pre alpha really fixes all of these

Opera has a new rendering engine, about 7x faster, I believe, and now supports CSS3(not sure, but logically, it should also support CSS2x now)

In my defense of Opera, I dug up Fox and Safari as they were collecting digital dust. Results?

Browsers used:

Opera 10.5 pre-alpha

Firefox 3.6

Safari 4

---------------------

ACID 3 TEST:

I performed the acid3 test on all 3 browsers and here's the results

SPEED:

1. Opera

2. Firefox

3. Safari

While Opera was the fastest (about 2 seconds), Safari was the slowest and most jerky taking about 6 seconds

FINAL RENDER:

1. Safari

2. Opera

3. Firefox

Safari and Opera both finished at 100% with correctly matching tiles, while Fox stopped at 94% and had incorrect colors

Safari's final render was the best, however, matching the test render exactly, while Opera was off by about 5 pixels

-----------------

I also started all 3 programs and looked at my Task manager:

35bxk6h.jpg

Safari in fact used the most resources, while Opera used the least, about half of Safari's total

No programs had any add-ons installed

Basically, Opera is awesome :tongue:

Funny that, because for me FireFox draws on speed with Opera and Safari zooms away like a rocket.

I do know they have improved the engine a lot in the pre-alpha but there is a huge point here.

It's the pre-alpha, not the offical release so currently, Opera is a poor browser choice.

I'm surprised that Safari is using the most resources, normally FireFox likes to use that much whereas Safari sits at around 3/4 of that but it might be down to the fact that Safari, with it being WebKit, each tab you open will be a new instance, hence why you have two of them in the task manager.

And it is proven FireFox naturally fails the Acid3 test but this is down to Gecko, whereas Opera and Safari use Presto (which was crap until the pre-alpha) and WebKit (the first rendering engine to score a full 100% on all acid tests).

Overall though FireFox has more pros than cons than either of the browsers, it has currently been the first to add the new HTML5 tags to its core, quickly followed by WebKit (Safari, not Chrome), the Javascript based interface is highly customisable, more than Opera's by miles.

The Gecko engine is still more flexable than WebKit even though it fails to score 100% but due to the fact Mozilla wont update the current released DLLs to it, no one bothers to look at so they all jump onto Apples bandwagon.

Overall I'd never use Safari, it's made by people who think making shiny things with big price tags and ego filled adverts make them cool.

Opera lacks where it promotes, if I wanted a lite/"fast" browser I'd use K-Melon.

And Chrome is a joke... sorry google.

Anyway, ENOUGH BROWSER BASHING.

Funny that, because for me FireFox draws on speed with Opera and Safari zooms away like a rocket.

I do know they have improved the engine a lot in the pre-alpha but there is a huge point here.

It's the pre-alpha, not the offical release so currently, Opera is a poor browser choice.

I'm surprised that Safari is using the most resources, normally FireFox likes to use that much whereas Safari sits at around 3/4 of that but it might be down to the fact that Safari, with it being WebKit, each tab you open will be a new instance, hence why you have two of them in the task manager.

And it is proven FireFox naturally fails the Acid3 test but this is down to Gecko, whereas Opera and Safari use Presto (which was crap until the pre-alpha) and WebKit (the first rendering engine to score a full 100% on all acid tests).

Overall though FireFox has more pros than cons than either of the browsers, it has currently been the first to add the new HTML5 tags to its core, quickly followed by WebKit (Safari, not Chrome), the Javascript based interface is highly customisable, more than Opera's by miles.

The Gecko engine is still more flexible than WebKit even though it fails to score 100% but due to the fact Mozilla wont update the current released DLLs to it, no one bothers to look at so they all jump onto Apples bandwagon.

Overall I'd never use Safari, it's made by people who think making shiny things with big price tags and ego filled adverts make them cool.

Opera lacks where it promotes, if I wanted a lite/"fast" browser I'd use K-Melon.

Strange what you said about Safari, I only had 1 tab open when I looked in my TM... Might have to research this more

Actually, part of the reason I use Opera is because it's a fast browser

Seeing as how Fox is open-source and Opera is propietary, I would much rather use Fox, but like I said before, it just doesn't run well on my machine

Very well, we will settle our browser differences! :hug:

Technically, Netscape lives on in Fox, seeing as how NN was the base for Fox. Personally, I think it's Microsoft at fault for having IE installed on Windows machines, but hey, you can't really blame 'em. Just know that when you use Firefox, a part of Netscape lives on.... sort of...

And EON8, you really must update your sig, the picture is gone.

When I was looking up Netscape stuff I read about it and Firefox which was pretty interesting. Microsoft has had a lot of heat over the years for including IE in all of their operating systems. If I remember correctly they even had to go to court over it at one time.

Thanks for telling me about my signature. I didn't even notice. :laugh: I was so used to seeing it I all but stopped noticing it. Instead of uploading image files to my Photobucket account I lazily just use Imageshack and risk losing them.

The Gecko engine is still more flexable than WebKit even though it fails to score 100% but due to the fact Mozilla wont update the current released DLLs to it, no one bothers to look at so they all jump onto Apples bandwagon.

IMO, i dont really care what browser or operating system people use, as long as they dont try and say one is better then the other, because every operating system (Windows, Mac OSX, and linux) and every web browser (Safari, and Firefox) i will tell you one thing though, IE is just stupid, and opera is stupid to because theres no developers tools.

Personally, i like these combos

Mac Osx and Safari

Firefox and windows

(and yes, i do run both mac osx and windows)

All of this can be summed up in two words... User preference. Use what makes you happy and what works best on your computer and for you.

All of this can be summed up in two words... User preference. Use what makes you happy and what works best on your computer and for you.

Seconded! :wink:

Hm... I think this is the best sum of all that browser-related trouble:

Safari - Exact in rendering, but goes slow and lacks developer tools. Also, on Mac it goes FASTER than FireFox so apparently it really depends on the authors' ability to port something to another OS.

FireFox - Very good in plugins and developing.

Opera - Lacks developer tools, but some statistics say it is the fastest browser...

Chrome - ... SPYWARE!!! No, j/k, but it is really a lame browser...

IE - ... AHEM... Distance between IE and technology... Infinite. It seems to me that every single HTML tag on my site has to be alternated for IE...

Hm... I think this is the best sum of all that browser-related trouble:

Safari - Exact in rendering, but goes slow and lacks developer tools. Also, on Mac it goes FASTER than FireFox so apparently it really depends on the authors' ability to port something to another OS.

FireFox - Very good in plugins and developing.

Opera - Lacks developer tools, but some statistics say it is the fastest browser...

Chrome - ... SPYWARE!!! No, j/k, but it is really a lame browser...

IE - ... AHEM... Distance between IE and technology... Infinite. It seems to me that every single HTML tag on my site has to be alternated for IE...

I agree on all points!

About Chrome though.....

For the random person who doesn't give or know a damn about computers, a browser like Chrome is king.

All you need(for a layperson) is "that little star thingy"(bookmark)

It also has search right in the address bar (I know Opera does it too, not sure about others), so yeah

Maybe that's why Chrome is picking up pace

'Course for developers or more tech-savy users, a browser like Chrome is shit.

And welcome to the site, Aurel :hug:

Haha, my writing really should be more clear

What I meant was that Chrome searches directly from the address bar, along with Opera (Firefox too, apparently :tongue: )