Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
kxrxoxnxixc

[!!]College

30 posts in this topic

Where are you going or plan to go to college, or if you are looking at a transfer, where are you transferring from and to? Why did you choose this College? What will be your major and minor?

ME::

Currently attending Grossmont Community College, san diego, ca.

Transferring back home to Nevada to attend WNC for one year to establish residency and transfer off to UNR where I will double major in Comp Sci and Comp Eng. Probably minor in Mathematics, even though it sucks.

Reason for the move, SDSU is damn near impossible to get into and I would still have 3 years at the community college before I could even attempt transferring to state. (side note: SDSU received 64,000 applications and only accepted 6,000 applicants)

Currently a sophomore high school in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania.

Once graduated going to Full Sail University in Florida to study game production and computer animation.

After that, I'll go straight into the business of finding an employer(hopefully well known like Blizzard Activision or Epic)

This is sorta what my college life will be like.

Oh, and Kronic...

You forgot an l in the title.

Full Sail University sounds a lot like the college I was looking at before deciding to move back home. It was Neumont University, and worked with industry partners to develop a graduating class with a foot in the door of large corporations. They also did game development as well as many other things.

The thing that deterred me, was the ( (living expenses + tuition) = $140,000.00) because I would have been living off campus. But tuition by itself was 75,000.

Last night I was looking at the jobs available for being a game tester. Thats something I would like to do for a living. Everything seems to be on the other side of the country though. I understand its possible to have to test something like a My Little Pony game from time but I still would happily do it.

Yeah, It's stiff competition to become a game tester. You gotta be one of those "1337" gamers that find glitches and all that stuff. I was thinking of trying my hand at being a game tester, but it doesn't bring in enough income for my personal taste. Would be a really enjoyable job though, probably love going to work.

The pay wouldn't seem like it would be all too great but it would be more than what I'm making now. Hell, if I worked at Burger King it would be more than what I'm making now. I'm currently bitter as I haven't had a computer repair call to go on in three weeks. Not only that I had to spend all my money to buy parts to fix the steering on my truck. Right now at the time of this post I have a total of $6.35 to my name.

Oh man, that's not good. You should look at working for Best Buy for the Geek Squad or something. They make decent money, and you could still do the computer repair portion on your free time. Yeah, I think game testers make around 25-35k/year. which I think averages out to about 2 - 2900/mo

I'm going to have to do something because I'm just not getting the calls anymore. Its mostly my fault as I've completely hated doing this for a good five years now. As such I've pissed off a lot of people with my actions during that time and alienated all the regular customers I had. Thus now I only occasionally get a call which doesn't work for an adult who needs a full time job.

The biggest problem I have is that I'm limited to fixing home computers but thats what I enjoy doing. Just not the house call part. I guess my ultimate goal is to open my own store front. I can fix home computers without having to make house calls, continue being my own boss, and work the hours I want to since I sleep during the day. The only thing that stands in my way is the money to do it. If I can't get a loan I'll have to quit fixing computers for a while and go get a night job some place to save the money needed.

Yeah. IDK man, you may just have to bite the bullet on this one and get a day job as night jobs are a little harder to come by.

If I can't get a job at night I suppose I would be forced to get one during the day. I would just sleep at it. :laugh: Hopefully though I can get a loan so I don't have to do either. I only need a little place with just enough room to work on a few computers at a time so I don't see it costing that much. Finding something like that around here is the hard part. I've been nonchalantly looking for about a year now with no luck.

No, but if I did it might be easier as there would be more small places with cheap rent. If I were to rent a place it would be in one of the surrounding towns or further. I've burnt too many bridges around here.

Damn, that sucks man. YEah rent is definitely a lot cheaper in smaller areas. Maybe you could start a computer repair/build hut or something. Lots of people don't know how to build a computer either, so you vcould supply the parts at hiked rates and such.

that looks an awful lot like an area right by my house, but instead of being a kodak film place, its a locksmith. Same size booth, same kind of parking lot, same design of buildings... I think the building off to the diagnol right is a CVS now. and the one on the left is still a grocery store...

o.o;; weird. LoL

That is incredibly weird. :shock::laugh: Many of those old Fotomats were converted into Locksmith huts so its quite possibly the same place.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's right down the street... About 5-10 minutes from my house. (Down the street in SD == 10minutes). That is pretty weird. LoL, it has the hill with houses on it in the back and everything.

Well, im going to go to ITT Tech, because im going to be a network security analyst, at least thats what im planning on right now. ill be working 5 days a week, and 24 hours a day. its gonna be a hell of a lot of work, but starting salary is like 75,000 year, and in a year or two of working i could be up to 140k a year.

I'd watch out for ITT tech man, if you look for what people call "predator" schools, ITT is ranked pretty high up there. I know a kid who went there, got a degree and is out of work still because nobody recognizes the degree from ITT, so now he is paying more to go back to school, and is starting all over since none of his credits transferred.

Also, the school is not regionally accredited (which means no school will accept the credits if you decide to continue your education). I hope you did your research. Check this... You should also be aware that a normal associates degree only takes 64 units from a non-private, non-profit university (your average school), and not 96 like ITT claims.

NOTE:: Where I went and looked, it said it was 495/unit, at 96 units that's == $47,616 for an associates. I can get my associates in mathematics and Computer Engineering in one year, and I'd have only spent 1,500.00 by going to a community college. My entire college career by the time I graduate will have cost me about 12,000 - 15,000.

I'd watch out for ITT tech man, if you look for what people call "predator" schools, ITT is ranked pretty high up there. I know a kid who went there, got a degree and is out of work still because nobody recognizes the degree from ITT, so now he is paying more to go back to school, and is starting all over since none of his credits transferred.

Also, the school is not regionally accredited (which means no school will accept the credits if you decide to continue your education). I hope you did your research. Check this... You should also be aware that a normal associates degree only takes 64 units from a non-private, non-profit university (your average school), and not 96 like ITT claims.

NOTE:: Where I went and looked, it said it was 495/unit, at 96 units that's == $47,616 for an associates. I can get my associates in mathematics and Computer Engineering in one year, and I'd have only spent 1,500.00 by going to a community college. My entire college career by the time I graduate will have cost me about 12,000 - 15,000.

Yeah, i wasnt really planning on going to itt, it was just a consideration.

Hmm.. Guess i shouldnt be worrying too much about college right now, since i just got through 9th grade