Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Cloudius

Strange shortwave broadcast, possible explanations?

37 posts in this topic

Ok, this didn't seem to have a place, as theres no conspiracy here-say, but its not a site either, its a radio signal.

The signal is Russian, but the odd thing is that for over two decades straight this station has played a tone or series of tones, and there are only 3 instances to date of any transmissions being heard over this station. There is theory that this is a station designed to transmit encoded orders to military bases in Russia, and theres the less likely theory that it transmits orders to spies, but no real reason has ever been determined. There are also reports that every now and then one can hear what sounds like voices behind the tones, so there is a very vauge possiblity that this thing is actually transmitting on a super encoded frequency that requires a special listening device to block the tones and hear whats being said clearly, but this is just personal speculation.

All info on this station that is known is on this site http://sites.google.com/site/stationuvb76/

So, anyone know anyone in Russia who might be able to dig into this?

This is insanely interesting, what I'm wondering is how people know if it stops does someone sit and listen to it 24/7?

I absolutely love things like this, thanks for posting it.

I have the same question. If its been brodcasting 24/7 for nearly 30 years how is it known when theres any change in activity on it?

I favor this idea: "The constant transmission of its characteristic sound is supposed to signal the availability, operation or alertness of some kind of installation, a kind of dead man's switch of a military or other installation, possibly for the Dead Hand system."

From that website:

"As of January 17, 2010 at the latest many available map viewing services that provide satellite imagery have the UVB-76 station darkened or removed entirely. Of interest to note is the fact that seemingly unrelated buildings in close proximity are also blacked out."

Last time I checked those are what clouds looked like.

When I looked at satellite maps of it there was nothing in the coordinates that it showed

When you zoom in you can see it though its dark because of the shadow the cloud is casting.

uvb76.jpg

This map I found has the clearest view.

uvb76clear.jpg

Eon8 glad to see you taking an interest in this. I am unsure wether someone sits and listens 24/7, but given the theory that these numbers stations (keep in mind they have them all over the world, we in the US have a few but I'm not going to disclose information about those for obvious reasons.) are used to transmit to spies in other countries, I should think we have a building or station somewhere in our country that monitors all of these stations. I personally have tried to get a feed to listen to this and cant find the shit on global tuners cuz I can't figure out exactly how the site works :(

I did some research on this the other night but had to stop myself when I realized you can spend hours on it as one thing leads to another with this kind of stuff. There seems to be a fair amount of information on the net about it. I wish I had known that there was a Wiki article on the subject as it would have saved me a lot of trouble in trying to find a clear shot.

uvb76satellite.jpg

I made an account at global tuners but can't play around with it until I build my new computer as the one I'm temporarily using for the time being doesn't have a sound card.

It really sounds like a dead mans switch, because why would they build some random ass radio station otherwise?

When was the last time the signal was altered?

According to the Wiki article it was altered this month!

"Since the start of June 2010 the normal buzzing sound from UVB-76 has been replaced by a continuous high pitched noise, similar to that of a modem, with intermittent deeper tones like that of a foghorn. Whether this is a malfunction or an intended change to the buzzing remains to be seen."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVB-76

It is a creepy ass broadcast if you listen to it. But with the recent change in the broadcast it is either, like multiple people said, a dead-mans switch. Or they recently updated their hardware.

It could be a different form of Number stations.

Its funny because a New "Spy Drama" On USA Network just did an episode about this.

A number station.

What did they say? i believe theres truely nothing so amazingly secret about them. My theory is its for some sort of long range coded military communication.