Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Sakaryu

Wiping a Computer

31 posts in this topic

Recently I've had to wipe my 7 year old computer.................4 times. What sucks is that the wireless card I put in back then is fucked over pretty bad, no clue why. But anyway anytime I tried to install the software for it, It crashed and restarted and crashed before I could even get to the log-in screen. Took me 2 more times to figure what the problem was. so I'll get to the point, anyone here whip a computer before, if so share why.

Yea I know I spelled wipe wrong in the title T_T

Wipe? As in, deleting windows partition on harddrive and re-installing windows?

I do that all the time, I usually have to fix everyone's computers around where I live. What OS do you have?

The one I just wiped has XP, Tho I'm currently running Vista on my laptop.

Mmm. So, do you need help with anything, or do you have it all figured out then?

I usually do this around twice a month at the least, friends of friends and old friends of parents don't know not to click the shiny popups offering them 150,000 FREE smiley faces.

LOL that got my sisters computer way back when, but yea I might need some help later right now, I'm trying to get it hooked up to the internet. But I think that venture might be in vain without some new equipment.

I charge $175 to reformat a hard drive. It includes the price of the two house calls. The initial one where I figure out that the computer can only be fixed that way, and the one where I have to return it, set it all back up, make sure everything works, and that the person is happy.

The total job takes a lot of hours and aggravation so its a pretty cheap price.

Really? It took 10 minutes and I just pressed a button.

How to reformat a drive: Windows XP

This section explains how to reformat a drive from the Windows XP installation CD. This can be used when installing a fresh copy of Windows onto a computer. Here it is especially important to backup all of your important information because upon formatting you will lose EVERYTHING that used to be on the drive. This includes all applications and device drivers, so you must back up everything you can.

-------------------------------------------------------

Insert your Windows XP installation disc into your CD drive (Home or Pro--it does not matter).

Now as you computer boots a little more it will say "Press any key to boot from CD.." press a key to do so.

The CD will load up a blue screen and then spend a while loading files it needs. When it is finished it will list a few options, mainly "Press ENTER to set up Windows XP." Press Enter or Return.

Now you will be at a screen to select where to install Windows to. This is where you can delete old partitions and format drives. The box in the bottom half of the screen shows all your drives and the partitions that exist on them. Use the Up and Down arrow keys to highlight your "C:" partition and press the 'D' key (if all that shows up is "Unpartitioned space" and you have no C: or D: partitions, skip this step). On the next screen press the 'L' key to finalize deleting the partition.

Now you are back on the screen to choose where to install Windows. The box on the lower half of the screen should no longer show a partition but simply have an entry "Unpartitioned space xxxxxMB." Select this with the arrow keys and press the 'C' key to create a partition on the drive. The next screen tells you the minimum and maximum sizes the partition can be and lets you pick the size. The default size is the maximum, but double check that the number entered is the maximum and hit enter.

Now you will again be back at the choose where to install Windows screen. But this time you will have a partition that looks something like this "C: Partition1 [New (Raw)]xxxxxxMB." Highlight this entry and press enter.

The next screen lets you choose which file system to format the drive with. Choose NTFS as it is faster and more secure. If the drive is brand new and has never been used before then use one of the options that ends in "(Quick)." Or, choose one of the lower down options. Use the arrow keys to select the proper one and press Enter or Return.

From here you are all set and the installation of Windows will proceed starting with a format of your drive. This will take a while (over half an hour) so you can take a little break.

Note: More like 45 minutes to an hour.

-------------------------------------------------------

Thats just the actual reformat process. Before I do that I have to spend several hours performing other tasks depending on how much is on the computer.

Back up all the persons files on an external hard drive.

Take notes of all their settings and preferences.

Take notes of what hardware the computer has in device manager in order to get the drivers later.

Take screen caps of their desktop and start menu so I know what software to reinstall.

Then I can finally perform the actual reformat.

After thats completed I have to reverse all of the steps above. Plus other odds and ends like performing Windows updates and installing service packs which take an hour or two right there. Also install anti-virus software and update that among other things.

I usually don't go to a home or business knowing the only way to fix the computer is to reformat the hard drive. Thats always the last resort. Which means I spend hours trying to fix whatever problem their experiencing before I make the decision to reformat it. I then have to do all of the above over a day or two, then I bring it back and have to set it up again and make sure their Internet and wireless network if they have one works, and install their printer as you can't do that unless its physically connected. Then finally sit them down and go over everything and have them see if I forgot anything or something needs to be changed or all is well.

Oh yeah and I almost forgot about the travel time. If they live a half an hour away from me that equals two hours of driving.

Phew!! lkembarrassed.gif

So you can see $175 is nothing. Luckily I rarely have to reformat a persons computer.

Phew, as for the disk luckily my computer has a built in one, where I just press F11 and it brings a menu up where it asks me if I want to format, and Install and new copy of XP which is does all on its own. All of which takes about ten minutes. You should really charge extra for the backup stuff.

Before I do that I have to spend several hours performing other tasks depending on how much is on the computer.

Back up all the persons files on an external hard drive.

Take notes of all their settings and preferences.

Take notes of what hardware the computer has in device manager in order to get the drivers later.

Take screen caps of their desktop and start menu so I know what software to reinstall.

Then I can finally perform the actual reformat.

After thats completed I have to reverse all of the steps above. Plus other odds and ends like performing Windows updates and installing service packs which take an hour or two right there. Also install anti-virus software and update that among other things.

I usually don't go to a home or business knowing the only way to fix the computer is to reformat the hard drive. Thats always the last resort. Which means I spend hours trying to fix whatever problem their experiencing before I make the decision to reformat it. I then have to do all of the above over a day or two, then I bring it back and have to set it up again and make sure their Internet and wireless network if they have one works, and install their printer as you can't do that unless its physically connected. Then finally sit them down and go over everything and have them see if I forgot anything or something needs to be changed or all is well.

Oh yeah and I almost forgot about the travel time. If they live a half an hour away from me that equals two hours of driving.

Phew!! lkembarrassed.gif

So you can see $175 is nothing. Luckily I rarely have to reformat a persons computer.

Ah, sounds like you do a quality job :thumbsup:

I usually just backup and format stuff as something to do for friends of my parents, usually get paid $20-40.

I'd do it for free, but they're happy to pay me. Places around here charge you out the ass, so people generally come to me. Last ad I saw in the paper for our local computer store: $80 to partition a harddrive. Or, as they put it, "WE SPLIT YOUR HARDDRIVE IN TWO!". Hahaha..

Phew, as for the disk luckily my computer has a built in one, where I just press F11 and it brings a menu up where it asks me if I want to format, and Install and new copy of XP which is does all on its own. All of which takes about ten minutes. You should really charge extra for the backup stuff.

Oh, so you have a recovery partition on your harddrive then.

Yea, Thank god for it too, I lost the disk along time ago. So this was a god send. Luckily I just bridged the connection from my laptop to my desktop and it worked like a charm this time.

Yea, Thank god for it too, I lost the disk along time ago. So this was a god send. Luckily I just bridged the connection from my laptop to my desktop and it worked like a charm this time.

why not just use ethernet..?

Thats what I did, I Hooked the Ethernet cable from my laptop to my Tower. As for why not hook up my computer to the router....its about 100 feet away. I'm on the second story while its on the first.

Thats what I did, I Hooked the Ethernet cable from my laptop to my Tower. As for why not hook up my computer to the router....its about 100 feet away. I'm on the second story while its on the first.

Ah. well, you could always use powerline networking to get faster then wireless speeds without snaking a cable down to your first floor

It would have to be a really good power-line because that is one of the main downsides to using a power-line connection, is the slow speeds.

I guess you could use the new shit though.

It would have to be a really good power-line because that is one of the main downsides to using a power-line connection, is the slow speeds.

Actually not really, its not faster then ethernet, but it is way faster then wireless. although, you cant use the powerline to ethernet converter boxes on a surge strip

With my current wireless router I'm pulling the max speed I can get from my internet. That being 10mbps, simply bridging my connection saves money and time, its not really worth going out and buying new products when one simply has everything they need at their disposal. If I was unable to bridge my connections, I still would have stayed wireless, because of the flexibility.

With my current wireless router I'm pulling the max speed I can get from my internet. That being 10mbps, simply bridging my connection saves money and time, its not really worth going out and buying new products when one simply has everything they need at their disposal. If I was unable to bridge my connections, I still would have stayed wireless, because of the flexibility.

True

Its always nice to have wireless