Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Matt

Death

33 posts in this topic

Anyone want to express their opinions about death and what happens? The Afterlife is very interesting to me.

When you die, you will stand before God and you will be judged. If you have lead a life of sin, you will be sent to Hell, and your eternal home will be the lake of fire. If you have lived by his word and worshipped God, you will be let into Heaven.

If you want to criticize my religious beliefs, go die. I will not argue about the afterlife with heathens.

Nothing happens. Your remains simply decompose and your brain (what makes you yourself) does as well. Everyone that has ever lived is truly like that song by Kansas... Dust in the Wind.

Ultimately whatever you believe happens won't really matter. Nor the friends you had, nor the things you did, nor the experiences. No achievements. Nothing. Maybe people will remember you, if you did something important enough, maybe not. Ultimately you "live on" through them, and their actions, so you are never truly dead, though to you you are. As you cannot do anything, see anything, feel anything, and are nonexistent to the world.

Its like if we ever get teleporters, are they really taking you from point A to point B, or is a replica of you arriving at B, and you die, but your replica wouldn't know that, you wouldn't either because it would happen in a split second.

Are we really just a mass of millions of smaller living things? They die every day; skin cells, blood cells, who says we are any different?

Is there really a place where we go after or physical presence ends? Who is to say, either way you can't reliably tell anyone.

Like Dr. Manhattan says in Watchmen, "A live body and a dead body contain the same number of particles. Structurally, there's no discernible difference. Life and death are unquantifiable abstracts. Why should I be concerned?"

...of course, he is immortal, so why should he be concerned.

I'm too damn philosophical in the middle of the night. Ask me in the afternoon.

Nothing happens. Your remains simply decompose and your brain (what makes you yourself) does as well. Everyone that has ever lived is truly like that song by Kansas... Dust in the Wind.

Ultimately whatever you believe happens won't really matter. Nor the friends you had, nor the things you did, nor the experiences. No achievements. Nothing. Maybe people will remember you, if you did something important enough, maybe not. Ultimately you "live on" through them, and their actions, so you are never truly dead, though to you you are. As you cannot do anything, see anything, feel anything, and are nonexistent to the world.

Its like if we ever get teleporters, are they really taking you from point A to point B, or is a replica of you arriving at B, and you die, but your replica wouldn't know that, you wouldn't either because it would happen in a split second.

Are we really just a mass of millions of smaller living things? They die every day; skin cells, blood cells, who says we are any different?

Is there really a place where we go after or physical presence ends? Who is to say, either way you can't reliably tell anyone.

Like Dr. Manhattan says in Watchmen, "A live body and a dead body contain the same number of particles. Structurally, there's no discernible difference. Life and death are unquantifiable abstracts. Why should I be concerned?"

...of course, he is immortal, so why should he be concerned.

I'm too damn philosophical in the middle of the night. Ask me in the afternoon.

Edit: Before people start ripping each other to shreds, lets try to make this a "post what you think" thread, and not a "YOUR RONG!!1!" thread. Personally I don't care if you laugh with the sinners or cry with the saints, I'm just sick of this. Also, Billy Joel.

When you die, you will stand before God and you will be judged. If you have lead a life of sin, you will be sent to Hell, and your eternal home will be the lake of fire. If you have lived by his word and worshipped God, you will be let into Heaven.

If you want to criticize my religious beliefs, go die. I will not argue about the afterlife with heathens.

thats exactly what i believe too, but i think theres a "purgatory" if you werent particualary good or bad. like if you were in the middle of those two, thats what can explain ghosts

According to wiki it doesn't mean either. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purgatory Its kind of confusing but according to what I gather from wiki its a place where souls are made ready for heaven.

"In addition to accepting the states of heaven and hell, Roman Catholicism envisages a third state before being admitted to heaven. According to Roman Catholic doctrine, some souls are not sufficiently free from sin and its consequences to enter the state of heaven immediately, nor are they so sinful as to be destined for hell either. Such souls, ultimately destined to be united with God in heaven, must first endure purgatory—a state of purification. In purgatory, souls achieve the holiness necessary to enter the joy of heaven."

So does that make EchoElite correct? I'm not all up on my christian beliefs. :P

You can talk and argue as long as it is within reason. You can argue over politics by saying "Well, I believe that so and so is wrong on that issue, here is proof why he can be wrong."

What makes it bad arguing is when people go "U RETARD!!! MCCAIN SUXX!!! OMG, STUPED REPUBLIKAN". That kind of arguing should be avoided.

oh? is that so?

now i do, from what happened last week

DROP IT.

My belief on death is that you die. According to what is observable by me, there is no afterlife.

However, I do believe that you can be brought back to life. As long as your body can still start functioning again, you can be brought back to life.

My father's friend used to cut out hamsters hearts and poke them with needles and then timed how long it took them to stop beating. The guy who did that worked at the uhh.. USAMRID? USAAMRID? Something like that.