Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
EON8

Value of human life

29 posts in this topic

This is something thats been bothering me for a while now. It seems like nobody (besides those directly involved) cares when someone dies. Myself included but I've questioned it enough to start this thread.

Two examples include:

You hear the news announcers briefly mention 27 U.S. soldiers were killed today before going on to the next story, and everyone forgets ten seconds later.

During normal conversation you'll hear about someone who died and you'll respond with some empty sentiment like "Oh thats too bad." This is even if you knew the person at one point.

Maybe because we all hear, read, and see death so frequently due to the information age that we've become desensitized to it.

well I guess if you cared every time you heard something like that you'd be a sad sap all day long

Here's a good question, what makes one life worth more than another?

Well the answer to that is merely subjective.

It just seems to me that no matter who dies people don't generally care all that much when it comes down to it. I've just been noticing it more and more with time. Maybe the human race is becoming more accepting of the fact that people die all day long and how its inevitable.

I haven't gone anywhere in five days so tonight I decided to go for a drive. I was going down a fairly busy street and I noticed a dead animal in the middle of it. As I got closer I realized that it was a raccoon. The disturbing part was that it was dead in a way that its face was pointing up on an angle towards your windshield. Both its mouth and eyes were open and it had the most horrible expression on it face which was accentuated when your headlights shinned on it.

That also goes back to the whole why is one life worth more than another, people hit a raccoon the keep driving. A person how ever, most people would stop. I was telling a friend eariler that the only way to win is not to play. He said "They're a race of idiots who are the only to accomplish de-evolution."

I responded saying "Yea, but its one hell of a show to watch them do it."

Who was the main actor in that movie?

idk but i advise not to think much of it but my opinion is thats called being selfish and its a human instinct so its not wrong life is preciouse yes but its much more preciouse if that persons life is preciouse to you iv learned to accept that ; but thers a limit for everything being too selfish can coz alot of awful things like wars the irac war for example most americans dont care coz of the religion thing but there are some vids that they dont want us to see but i got hold of some im not the sencitive type but yah they left a prety seriouse scar!! but that just what i think; i could be stupid looool

Well, I might sound like a jerk but.. I don't think humanity has ever cared if unknown people die. Sure they might be all "man, that sucks", but it's just really difficult for people to care about something they have no relation with. Every second people somewhere die and we know this. It's just a question of where, when and how.

I wouldn't say human life has more value than any other life here on Earth. I see death as an inevitable thing in life, and the only reason to mourn is the feel of loss. That requires a bond of some kind, something people have only with a few select people.

Think about this, if we could sacrifice a life so that another person's death could be prolonged, wouldn't we.

For example: Someone who could save millions of lives by discovering a cure for someone who is a junkie and is wasting theirs. Would the trade not be worth it?

All these people who contribute nothing to life, absolutely nothing. Leeching off society why are they worth more than the people who do actual work and get paid shit.

RE: value of human life

The next time someone close to you dies everything will snap into perspective. Trust me. I've had kind of a crappy couple of years for that... many funerals for family and friends. You get good at the mourning process if you want to keep living your life.

When I hear someone on the news died, though, I still don't care. How can I? The fact is that right now, right as you are reading this, someone somewhere is dying. It happens all the time, constantly. Humans number in the trillions now, right? I mean, it's a constant phenomenon. You can't feel bad about every single one. It's just a normal part of existence.

If you can DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, though, that changes everything. In that moment you HAVE to care.

But things outside of your control, and that don't directly affect you? Why would you care about that? Perfectly reasonable to let it slide.

Other species don't care if others from their kind die most of the time

And human pop. is around 7 billion if I recall

TOOOOO MANY!

Other species don't care if others from their kind die most of the time

Maybe or maybe not, but we're not animals... and ya know... that's a good thing...

I think dogs do care though. People with multiple pets that lose one always report a kind of mourning by the other pet.

I can honestly say I have no feelings for random people that die. My family business is Funeral Directing so that's just how I was raised.

Everyone has people that they don't care if they die.

well I guess if you cared every time you heard something like that you'd be a sad sap all day long

This.

I'm too tired to care anymore.