Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
kxrxoxnxixc

Gov't trying to pass bill for backdoors into email

37 posts in this topic

http://action.eff.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=13241.0&dlv_id=26862

That's right boys and girls, 2 proposals in front of congress. One would give the government the power to shut down web sites accused of aiding in piracy.

The second proposal is that all email providers would be required to provide a back door to allow the government to tap email traffic.

Yea I heard about this, they got pissed that they can't really "tap" the webberscape.

When I read things like this it makes me wonder if the government thinks the Internet is only located in America. Don't they realize that its the entire world? As much as they would like to it can't be policed. They can make all the little laws they want and people will just host in countries that have none.

The problem is, they want to tap IPs located in the united states. So say someone here accesses TPB they get your IP and evidence to charge.

Thats circumvented by using one of the new IP masking services such as Ipredator like I've spoke of on here before. But the added cost will suck.

https://www.ipredator.se/?lang=en

I just thought of something else. You can easily just use someones elses Internet connection to pirate something. That brings up another concern if this were to happen. How can they prove if you were accessing the "illegal" sites or someone else was stealing your WiFi signal to do so?

The person paying for the connection is responsible for all content downloaded through their connection. Thus Wifi Routers are advised to have Security locks on them, if you don't and someone uses your WIFI for Illegal purposes then you are liable. Just like a big deal with people doing it from colleges, the colleges are thereby responsible for their students. A lot of colleges track what you download now.

Doubt the Signatures will do much seeing as they can't be verified and people can do it multiple times.

Signed it anyway.

The person paying for the connection is responsible for all content downloaded through their connection. Thus Wifi Routers are advised to have Security locks on them, if you don't and someone uses your WIFI for Illegal purposes then you are liable. Just like a big deal with people doing it from colleges, the colleges are thereby responsible for their students. A lot of colleges track what you download now.

I realize that but I'm more referring to the people who do have their routers security features turned on. I've never tried it myself but from what I've read it seems quite easy to get around. Theres even software out there that pretty much does it for you automatically. What then? Say I pull up into a parking lot adjacent to someones grandmothers house, circumvent the routers security, and use the signal for illegal activities. If these laws pass thats what everyone will have to do.

I have broken many locked wifi hotspots, it only takes about 10 minutes depending on the password on the router and the amount of traffic being run through it.

It's qyite simple really, I never downloaded anything on it, but I did some poking around here and there.

I have broken many locked wifi hotspots, it only takes about 10 minutes depending on the password on the router and the amount of traffic being run through it.

It's qyite simple really, I never downloaded anything on it, but I did some poking around here and there.

true, and most people have dumbass paswords like network, network1,password,password1

I wouldn't quite say that, but some of them are dumb... I don't break their actual ASCII value passwords though, I crack their encryption key so it comes out in hex. Example: 04-AF-69-B7-E2-FA-81-68, it's a fail proof method.

When I read things like this it makes me wonder if the government thinks the Internet is only located in America. Don't they realize that its the entire world? As much as they would like to it can't be policed. They can make all the little laws they want and people will just host in countries that have none.

I find it funny how our government trys to change other countries ways of life and make other countries more like the U.S. Example- what we did to hawaii

I've even heard rumors of how each country would have their own Internet and you would only be able to connect to your own. This way it could be policed.

I find it funny how our government trys to change other countries ways of life and make other countries more like the U.S. Example- what we did to hawaii

You're going to bitch about Americanizing the world?

I'm sorry, I thought it made sense to have other countries like us.

Its always nice to have others like yourself.

Its always nice to have others like yourself.

I didn't mean "like" as in similarity, I meant it as affection.

We just need everyone to be on speaking terms with us.