Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
anewformation

Eon 8: A Documentary

42 posts in this topic

The only problem is that the owner said what EON8 was, there should be a message saying that it was a cover for something.

I'll have to listen to it on a computer with sound. The only problem I see is theres no space between Eon and 8. Its really just semantics but might not show up in results when Eon8 is searched for.

Otherwise it looks good and almost makes me want to close the board to guests again due to the mysterious nature it conveyed.

Closing the boards completely off and hiding them from everyone, make it so you need a log-in to see anything. Its not like there is a flowing number of new members.

There will need to be more of the mystery.

Not just close it to the point of not viewing the content of the topics but the forums itself. Have a login to actually view the forum. I've seen the one pirate site do it. (not TPB)

I'm not sure if I'm following you right. As it is right now these are the options we have:

It can be set so that the entire board (everything) is not visible unless you log it.

Be set so the first posts are visible but corresponding replies aren't like it is now.

Be set so the topic titles and board are visible but none of the posts are unless you log in. So how it is now, but the first posts in each thread aren't visible either.

Last but not least I think I can make it so that you can see the boards main index page but when you click on anything it will ask you to log in.

Are any of those what you mean? Or are you saying when you come to the board have it make you log in so that you can see it but still have the threads available to guest viewing if they know how to find them? That doesn't make much sense though. What pirate site are you referring to? Demonoid?

You know what would be cool if eon 8 had like a puzzle or something that you needed to get right giving you access to the forums like hell.com had

existing members could just type in/bookmark eon8.com/forums for direct access

The last one would be the closest if you can get it working, if not the second to last would be preferable.

What I was talking about was have the main page link directly to a page with only the Log-in. I wish I had photoshop to do a mock version of it. Heres a basic text example.

*Blank page*

Username:___________________

Password:___________________

[submit]

To access E8 you will need to be a member. To submit a member application click here.

Then have a separate page with information on what to fill out on in a form and then when they submit it sends to an application email address.

Alright I understand now. You're saying when you click on the Eon8 logo instead of it bringing you to the board, it brings you to a blank page with a login box in the middle.

I really like that idea but much to my dismay it doesn't seem possible. I just spent nearly 2 hours researching it and it can't be done... Well it might be possible if you're a PHP/SQL programmer as it takes lines and lines of coding and there isn't any guide. Then apparently theres a lot of security issues with having it like that which I can understand.

The only other alternative is changing the link so when you click the Eon8 logo instead of bringing you to the board, it will bring you to the boards login screen. Thats not nearly as good or as cool but is the only other alternative like I said.

Can't you just remove all the other elements from the login screen? Seems like that would be a bit more plausible/easier

I wish it was that easy. IPB sells a few different pieces of software that can be described as add-ons to their forum software. One of them is supposed to allow you to build a website that is connected to (pulls information from) your board. If I got that it might let you have a login box like was suggested. The only problem is its somewhere around $50 and you have to renew its license every few months which is half that.

Yesterday I spent most of the day working on the board. I never realized it but this place wasn't configured correctly for search engines. Its yet to be seen if fixing it made a difference but that could have been part of the problem all this time.

We were only getting between 20-60 unique hits a day, and now after fixing the problems its jumped to over 200 so far.

Thats good.

Just need an IDEA.