Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Sakaryu

Computer Build

84 posts in this topic

Saki's X-04 Build

Case:

NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Power:

Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000W Modular PSU - Crossfire & SLI Ready (RSA00-AMBAJ3-US)

Motherboard:

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor:

Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601960

RAM:

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

Video Card:

EVGA 03G-P3-1584-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3072MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

HDD:

Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Disk Drive:

LG Black Blu-ray Drive SATA Model UH12LS28 OEM LightScribe Support - OEM

Case Extras:

USB Expansion Slot:

NZXT BUNKER 5.25" Bay USB Locking Device

Fan Controller:

NZXT SEN-001LX Sentry LX Aluminum dual bay fan controller

Water Cooling Setup:

Radiator:

Black Ice GT Stealth 240 X-Flow Radiator - Black

Pump:

Danger Den DD-CPX Pro 12V 3 Pin Powered Pump - 237 GPH (DD-CPX Pro)

Water Block:

Swiftech Apogee XT (Rev 2) High Performance CPU Waterblock - Sockets 775/1156/1366

Graphics Block:

EK GeForce 570 / 580 GTX VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Nickel + Acetal (EK-FC580 GTX+ Nickel + Acetal)

Reservoir:

Bitspower 5.25 Bay Reservoir - Black (BP-WT525P-BK)

Tubing x10 Feet:

Tygon R-3603 1/2" ID (3/4" OD) - Laboratory Tubing

Coolant:

Feser One Non Conductive Cooling Fluid - 1000 ml - UV Blue (F1-0001)

Thermal Compound:

Arctic Silver 5 (High-Density Silver Thermal Compound) - 3.5 Grams (AS5-3.5G)

Tubing Clamps x8:

Lamptron Elite Aluminum Reusable 3/4" OD Liquid Tubing Clamps - Anodized Black

Barbs x8:

Bitspower Chrome G1/4" Barb Fitting - 1/2" ID (BP-WTP-C01)

Fan Setup:

Case can hold 7 Fans

3x 120mm

1x 140mm

2x 200mm

1x 230mm/200mm

120mm Fans x 3:

Gelid Solutions Wing 12 PL 120mm x 25mm UV Reactive PWM Gamer Fan - UV Blue

140mm Fans x 1:

Logisys Quad Blue LED 140mm x 25mm Fan (CF140BL)

200mm Fans x 2:

BitFenix Spectre LED 200mm Fan - Blue (BFF-BLF-20020B-RP)

200mm Fan Extra (230mm substitute):

NZXT FN-200 200mm x 30mm High Performance Case Fan - 1300 RPM (This fan has Blue LEDs and is included free with the Case)

Total: Right about $3,000

Notes:

With the included Bays (5 on the case) I will be using all 5 so this doesn't leave room for a second disk drive.

After I get everything set up I will put some 12' Cold Cathode Lighting in the case.

Potential improving:

Second Graphics Card:

EVGA 03G-P3-1584-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3072MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

or (If the price goes down)

EVGA 03G-P3-1599-AR GeForce GTX 590 (Fermi) Classified Hydro Copper 3072MB 768-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Second & Third Monitors:

2x ASUS VE278Q Black 27" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers

SSD for OS:

Mushkin Enhanced Callisto DX2 Series MKNSSDCL80GB-DX2 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Extra HDDs:

5x Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Screen wise :

ASUS VE278Q - 27" - widescreen TFT active matrix LCD display

I plan on getting at least 1 of these to start but look to get a second graphics card and get an additional 2 more of these screens.

Just get one big screen imo.

Assembly wise, make sure you build everything in your head before you buy it(making sure it fits), as there are different sized mobos, power supplies etc. Besides that, it's pretty easy. If you got a modular power supply then that makes your job even easier.

Does the processor come with thermal paste or do you need to buy some?

Nice case btw

Wow, thats a pretty crazy build! A lot more so than mine was/is by far. :shock::thumbsup:

These are the steps I use when building a custom computer:

1.) Install processor on motherboard

2.) Apply thermal paste on processor

3.) Install heat sink on processor

4.) Install memory on motherboard

5.) Install motherboard in case

6.) Install video card

7.) Install additional cards (ethernet, sound, etc...)

8.) Install power supply (This can also be done as the first step. Depends on a few factors.)

9.) Install hard drive and CD/DVD drive(s) (This can also be done as the first step.)

10.) Plug everything together

Now plug it in and turn it on. Its a good idea to do this with the computer laying down on its side. Mainly to help the thermal paste distribute evenly. You'll have to be on your toes here as you will have to do a couple of things at once mainly visual:

If it starts up and makes it to the post screen, immediately go to the bios and monitor the temperatures.

While in there set the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device.

While letting the computer run a bit to stabilize temperatures...

Make sure wires aren't contacting any of the fans.

Make sure wires aren't contacting any heat sinks.

Be ready to quickly kill the power in case something goes wrong or doesn't seem right.

If all is well open the CD/DVD drive and insert the operating system disc.

Restart the computer and it will automatically detect the operating system disc so that you can install it. This is why you set the CD/DVD drive as the first boot device while in the bios before.

After installing the operating system and all is well, you can now neaten up all of the wiring.

The nice thing about the case, its a large case. It has wire management and Since I will be doing a nice combo of Liquid and Fan, the case also supports that. Screen wise. I like having multiple screens. I might take the casing off of them and merge them into a one continuous one. But I will most likely need help once I get all the parts. Does any one see anything I'm missing?

Cable wise, will I need to buy anything?

Just whatever heat sink you decide to use and the thermal paste. The motherboard and power supply should come with all of the cables you need.

Will the motherboard come with a heat sink or will the Processor? Do I still need a heat sink with Liquid cooling? These are the question I need to be asking before I start fucking shit up.

A heat sink usually comes with the processor but they're more or less worthless. You normally buy one yourself along with thermal paste. Thats with traditional fan cooling. Now with liquid cooling you don't use a heat sink. They use whats called a water block. You still use thermal paste though.

I was thinking of going liquid cooling with mine but there are some drawbacks to it. Additional expense and added noise as not only do they use a fan on the radiator, they of course use a pump. Like all liquid when its introduced to heat it eventually evaporates. So you'll have to keep an eye on the fluid level. If any part of the system develops a leak you're in trouble. Lastly theres more moving parts and things to go wrong than just a fan on a heat sink. The plus side is it cools far superior to what a heat sink and fan combo can. These are just some things to keep in mind.

Yea I will probably be going with Water cooling.

YouTube or Tom's Hardware is your best shot at that stuff then (read: I have no idea how to do water cooling)

Tonight I will be revising the top post with a full list of parts that I am ordering, I would like a review and for someone to tell me if I'm missing anything.

Edited.

Well, you can't get hardware for free now can you.

I have the water cooling system, the fan system, and the PSU ordered but I have to wait to order the rest due to Newegg order policy.

I have the water cooling system, the fan system, and the PSU ordered but I have to wait to order the rest due to Newegg order policy.

Makes sense why they wouldn't accept that payment

Meh, I got the Debit card but not I have to wait 2-18 days for the pin which they send separately. Who picks these days seriously.

You really did your homework thats for sure!

Whats Newegg's order policy? They stop you from placing too large of an order to prevent fraud?

I had Paypal set up directly with my bank, Newegg doesn't like that so they wanted a card on file. So I had to order a card.....that took 2 weeks......now I have to get my Pin.....which might take another two weeks..........It pisses me off. I want this stuff now.......INTERNET! What also makes me mad is that Frozen CPU who I ordered the rest of my stuff from. The stuff that I have actually bought so far. They have been processing my payment for 5 days now........They took the money out of my account on the first day.....if they don't have it done tomorrow I'm giving them a call which no one will like. This was suppose to be done by now.......I'm getting pissed.