Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
anewformation

Gaming Changed Forever

16 posts in this topic

Too bad you listen to Notch too mutch

lol, that's a big *** assumption right there. do you have something against me agreeing with him or do you just hate him?

Either way, what i see, is that these people took somebody Else's engine and made it look like they made it.

i don't hate voxels, they just aren't /ready/ for games right now, since a lot needs to be done in order to make them work as fluently as polygons work. and there is no "infinite" detail, nor will there ever be.

and besides, Euclidean is a really sketchy company.

Too bad you listen to Notch too mutch

I didn't even know Notch said anything about it until you said something.

This is terrible- nothing looks new, it doesn't even look improved. It looks like the same Polygon stuff we've been dealing with for awhile. Not only that, but how come there's no tests? How come we haven't heard from this company in years? No way to contact them.

"Infinite" detail comes when we have "infinite" power upon our computers. This is not nearly as good as it says, and they even mention a "Polygon to Voxel" converter? So they already have to use polygons as its base? I thought the whole point of this was to "Free the graphic artist from the limitations of a polygon". I really could go on and on about it... I read sooooo much up on it, and talked to a ton of people... But this is probably one of the most shady- if not biggest scams out there. Believe it if you want, but I'm sorry to those who do and end up paying out big bucks for something that's essentially nothing.

That's just my two cents though. I know this forum has become flame-heavy... So I'm probably going to hear it. (Not going to point out the two people that I feel ruined this forum)

And I have to agree with Echo, what's wrong with seeing Notch has his own opinion and agreeing with it? He is successful at what he does, and he does work a lot with graphics in terms of optimization since Minecraft is heavily dependent on that. I took a look at his post just now, and his math is wrong. I calculated it myself based on what he was saying, but most all of his points still stand valid even with corrections to his math.

I'd rather see more of a focus on storylines and gameplay than fancy graphics. seems to me like the majority of the emphasis is on them these days.

But the real reason for my post is the forum being "flame-heavy" comment. There are disagreements and debates here just like anywhere else but this place being flame-heavy has never crossed my mind.

lol, that's a big *** assumption right there. do you have something against me agreeing with him or do you just hate him?

I don't hate Notch, but he is not the word of God, but I guess a guy who doesn't update his software after making millions on BETA would know scams.

Either way, what i see, is that these people took somebody Else's engine and made it look like they made it.

Yes, they aren't saying their idea is a revolutionary new one, however they ARE saying that they have changed how it's implemented.

i don't hate voxels, they just aren't /ready/ for games right now, since a lot needs to be done in order to make them work as fluently as polygons work. and there is no "infinite" detail, nor will there ever be.

Of course they're not ready for gaming, and they won't be on consoles for at least 5 years due to consoles always holding games back.

Perhaps there won't ever be infinite detail, but neither is there in real life. I don't think I need to elaborate on that point

and besides, Euclidean is a really sketchy company.

They are funded by the Australian government, and are refusing any further donations, what kind of scam does that?

This is terrible- nothing looks new, it doesn't even look improved. It looks like the same Polygon stuff we've been dealing with for awhile. Not only that, but how come there's no tests? How come we haven't heard from this company in years? No way to contact them.

Yea, it looks like shit, but like they said, they're not graphic artists. The idea is what matters, and you see the difference in games like Crysis and in these tests(which, by the way, there are a few shown)

So they already have to use polygons as its base? I thought the whole point of this was to "Free the graphic artist from the limitations of a polygon"

Yes, how would you like to construct a human atom by atom? I'm no pro modeler but I can assure you that I'd rather model something with polygonal methods than constructing something like that. When they say free them from the limitations, every game has a budget of polygons you have a max of that you can model with. Anything over that, and the console/PC/whatever can't handle it.

I know this forum has become flame-heavy... So I'm probably going to hear it. (Not going to point out the two people that I feel ruined this forum)

I don't think anyone has really insulted anyone else here, and as the Director said, arguments /= flaming

what's wrong with seeing Notch has his own opinion and agreeing with it?

and his math is wrong.

You disproved him yourself. :)

Edit: HOLY FUCK WALL OF TEXT

Games don't need to render every grain of sand. While graphics can improve, as the case before/after the big Crysis 2 update. Like the Director said, there is no storyline that is good enough right now that developers can spend 4 years generating sand. Devs need to get back to the basics.

Games don't need to render every grain of sand. While graphics can improve, as the case before/after the big Crysis 2 update. Like the Director said, there is no storyline that is good enough right now that developers can spend 4 years generating sand. Devs need to get back to the basics.

Exactly

Whatever happened to GAMES being GAMES and not stories/movies? Super Mario would like a word with you

26 Years happen. My opinion of how games go.

Most Important -> Least Important

Game Play -> Story -> Graphics

26 Years happen. My opinion of how games go.

Most Important -> Least Important

Game Play -> Story -> Graphics

I dont think I could agree with you any more than this.

Hit the nail on head :)

Also, I never really noticed how textures and objects looked in a game, so this is all new to me, I have no clue what programming is exactly and how it works, besides that programming makes my laptop work.