Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Hazardous

Doppelgänger: Real or fake

1 post in this topic

Has anyone ever heard of a doppelganger(doppelgänger)?

In fiction and folklore, a doppelgänger (German "double walker") (pronounced [ˈdɔpəlˌgɛŋɐ]) is a paranormal double of a living person, typically representing evil or misfortune. In the vernacular, the word has come to refer to any double or look-alike of a person.

The word also is used to describe the sensation of having glimpsed oneself in peripheral vision, in a position where there is no chance that it could have been a reflection. Doppelgängers often are perceived as a sinister form of bilocation and are regarded by some to be harbingers of bad luck. In some traditions, a doppelgänger seen by a person's friends or relatives portends illness or danger, while seeing one's own doppelgänger is an omen of death.

In Norse mythology, a vardøger is a ghostly double who precedes a living person and is seen performing their actions in advance. In Finnish mythology, this is called having an etiäinen, i.e., "a firstcomer". In Ancient Egyptian mythology, a ka was a tangible "spirit double" having the same memories and feeling as the original person. In one Egyptian myth titled "The Greek Princess," an Egyptian view of the Trojan War, a ka of Helen was used to mislead Paris of Troy, helping to stop the war. In some myths, the doppelgänger is a version of the Ankou, a personification of death.

http://en.wikipedia....ppelg%C3%A4nger

Just like my little 'UFO' experience, I've had a horrifying experience with, what I believe to be, this. I had only heard this word twice, before the experience, first time was from an album title, it was, The Fall of Troy: Doppelganger and the second was from a person I knew who was playing the same game as me, they asked if I had fought my characters 'doppelganger'(if you're wondering what game dealt with a doppelganger, it was .[dot]Hack//). Well, that was how I found out about it. Just as the meaning or description of doppelganger says, it's a 'double walker' or a walking double, representing evil or misfortune, which the one was portrayed as in the game(I never fought the doppelganger in the game, so I wasn't able to see if it was actually depicted the way the definition explains it).

Well, just like the 'UFO' thing(I don't know if this could be related to sleep paralysis as well), I was asleep, but instead of my body being shut down and my mind wandering, it was more like an out of body experience. I had fallen asleep on the couch, laying on my back, my head elevated on the arm rest, from where the couch was positioned in the living room, I was facing the hallway. What happened was, it felt like I woke up, I got up from the couch and just stood there, I turned to my left and I saw my actual self, still laying there, in a dead sleep. For some reason, I don't know what, but something told me to look towards the hallway, which was pitch black. So I'm staring down the hall, from the darkness, I see a figure emerging through, what I saw gave me total fear, it wasn't a friend or a person I've never seen, but it was me, an evil, horrid version of myself.

As the definition describes a doppelganger to be, that was exactly how I saw the figure that looked to be imitating my features. The only difference was, the body was like an ice blue, as if dead, there were cuts and scratches all over the body, the face had no facial expression and the eyes were pitch black, as if there were none, gouged out, if you would, like it was just the eye sockets. Once it was standing over my sleeping body, it tilted it's head to the side slightly, lifting its hands, slowly moving towards me as if it were about to strangle me, this time, I was seeing it through my bodies eyes and my out of body forms eyes. As soon as the hands were about to reach my throat, I instantly woke up, feeling as if my eyes were open the whole time, watching through my actual body as the whole thing took place. To this day, I still have no explanation for what it could have been, which is why I believe it was a doppelganger.

Something similar happened to my mom before too, her room was down the hall that I was staring down, the only deference with what happened to me and her was, instead her seeing someone, she saw hands, only. She claimed she was sleeping, her door wide open, the house was completely pitch black, which was odd, only because the living room always had some form of dim lighting from lights outside and the moon. She said she heard what sounded like light footsteps walking towards her room, she said she saw the hands coming towards her, but instead of waking up, like I did, when the hands got close to her, she woke up because the hands were choking her, trying to kill her, she said she woke up gasping for air, feeling as if hands were really gripping her throat, she claimed that when the hands were choking her, right before she woke up, she saw the face of the devil or a demon. My whole family grew up with the Christian religion (my family believing in it more than myself, it's hard for me to believe when I have so many questions about it) so that's why she believes it was the devil trying to bring her down. That's all I can really say about my moms experience, I can't speak for her, mainly because I don't know her feelings completely or anything else about it.

My mom has told her story to people, but I've kept mine in the dark for the past 2-3 years after it happened, I felt that I could talk about it here, since I'm dealing with more intelligent people (not saying anyone I know isn't all that smart, they just don't look into stuff like this, like I try to) that know more about these things than myself, or anyone I know, really knows about. After reading the definition, it kind of creeped me out, knowing that, if you see your own doppelganger, it is an omen of ones death. If that's the case, shouldn't I be dead by now or would it happen sometime along the years of my life. I really don't know, I could never answer this, which is why I've brought it up here, hoping someone could shed some light on this and possibly some answers.