Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
ipressthebuttons

I seriously can't access program files.

13 posts in this topic

I've never come across this problem before. Since you can access the internet did you try googling around for an answer?

What exactly is the problem. When you try to install software it won't let you? Do you get any error messages? Give some examples. If I have a better understanding of the problem I could research it a bit.

I can't access it, plain and simple. When I try to open it, or install anything, it'll tell me that I can not access it. No reason for it.

But all the programs that were previously installed in it work for me.

And what's even more weird, is when I try to view it, there are no files in it unless I view it on the other PC account.

Log on as the administrator, open explorer, right click "Program Files",

click the tab "security", click "advanced", click the "Owner" tab, select

administrators, select the "Replace owner on subcontainers and object" box,

click apply. Might take a while depending on the number of files located in

program files.

If you don't see the security tab, click "Tools" -> "Folder options" -> tab

"View" -> deselect the simple file sharing (recommended) tab.

That answer popped up a number of times while googling around. When it says Log on as the administrator it might mean under Safe Mode.

Yes

I researched the problem a bit and that seemed like the most common fix. Either that or reformatting your hard drive.

Did you reformat it correctly? Where you delete all the partitions and such?

Set your cdrom drive in the bios as the first boot device.

Insert your Windows XP installation disc into your CD drive (Home or Pro it doesn't matter.)

Now as you computer boots it will quickly say “Press any key to boot from CD..” press a key to do so.

The CD will load up a screen and then spend a while loading files it needs. When it is finished it will list a few options, mainly “Press ENTER to set up Windows XP.” Press Enter

Now you will be at a screen to select where to install Windows to. This is where you can delete old partitions and format drives. The box in the bottom half of the screen shows all your drives and the partitions that exist on them. Use the Up and Down arrow keys to highlight your “C:” partition and press the 'D' key (if all that shows up is “Unpartitioned space” and you have no C: or D: partitions, skip this step). On the next screen press the 'L' key to finalize deleting the partition.

Things like that? You don't want to do a repair install or a quick restore or anything like that but completely wipe out windows and start over from scratch again.

Ah I see... He might have done the repair install, quick install, recovery install, etc... Which usually doesn't fix actual problems with XP.

After he did it did you loose everything that you had on it? When you do a complete reformat everything goes since its completely wiped out.

Ah I see... He might have done the repair install, quick install, recovery install, etc... Which usually doesn't fix actual problems with XP.

After he did it did you loose everything that you had on it? When you do a complete reformat everything goes since its completely wiped out.

Yes, everything. But whatever he did it obviously didn't fix this problem. And there seems to be no quickfix.

The computer's fairly new.. but computers become outdated quickly. Besides that, all the old viruses from all the previous computers came to this one. I'm advising my dad to not transfer information into a new computer if we get one in the near future.