Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Joshamuffin

Internet in the park.

7 posts in this topic

I'm currently in the park with my Eee PC. My house isn't close enough for me to take from it.

I'm using somebody's unlocked wireless router, and it currently has a signal strength of 85%. Three bars. The router name is Weddle. I showed my stepdad that there was a router I could get internet from and he found it uproaringly amusing. It's pretty cool. Also, I wonder what kind of person leaves their router unlocked. If I was skilled enough, I could turn their computer into a zombie.

What's worse is I could walk around my neighborhood and do the same thing with other people's internet. On the school bus, I've checked several times and there are multiple unlocked routers scattered about. I could have neverending free internet while strolling about.

EDIT: Do you experience ambient internet?

Ambient internet? Yes. Unless I'm in a hotel.. then you have to ask for the password thing. But when I go to visit family in Arizona, I get around 4 different networks I can just connect to.

There are more unsecured wireless home networks out there then there are secured ones. Why? Well i'll give you my take on it from personal experience. More times then not its a real pain in the ass to setup a home network. Especially if the person has DSL. On my list of things I hate doing, anything that involves DSL or networking are numbers one and two. Usually after I spend an hour or two frustratingly trying to get somebodies network working correctly I have to configure the security. 70% of the time it usually causes more hassle than its worth up so i've learned to say fuck it. The majority of the time the person doesn't care or even know the difference anyways.

It also comes down to laziness on the installers part whether it be the technician or the homeowner. If the homeowners installing it they usually have no idea what they're doing and just plug it in hoping it works. If its a technician then there are more variables. Pressed for time, don't care, customers annoying, inexperienced, crappy router so they're barely able to get the wireless working never mind security, the list goes on and on.

I can see it being a major problem in a city or apartment environment but out in say the suburbs, router security is generally not an issue.

My router is secured, mainly because my father fixes computers. Also, I'm in a computer troubleshooting/maintaining class, so I'm learning stuff, too. I have learned that the hardest part is opening the case.