Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
EchoElite

Will usb hubs work?

7 posts in this topic

Okay, so i have a macbook pro, and i run windows on it, i only have two usb ports, so i bought a cheapass usb hub, and i plugged it in, and guess what? it doesnt work for any of my usb devices!

Well, what usb hubs will work? Because i need more usb ports

Okay, well, my printer will work with the hub, my i-pod wont, same with my windows wireless mouse, also, it says its a usb 2.0 hub...

The only reasoning I can come up with is that these problems are occurring since its a cheap one.

When USB ports were first introduced they were considered 1.0. Since then they have updated the technology to allow for faster data transfer rates thus USB 2.0 was born. Every computer made in something like the last two years USB ports are 2.0 so you don't need to worry about it.

On a side note USB 2.0 is backwards compatible with USB 1.0. Which means you can plug a USB 2.0 device into a USB 1.0 port and it runs at that slower speed. For example I have a USB 2.0 hub plugged into my old computer with USB 1.0 ports so the hub only runs at 1.0.

Heres a quick history lesson about USB ports. They were invented as an easy means to plug peripheral devices into computers. Their original intended purpose was to make having to install device drivers obsolete. You were simply supposed to be able to plug anything into your windows based computer and it was to automagically work. Well of course that went over like a fart in church so they scrapped it altogether and invented Firewire. Now that was supposed to do what USB was intended to. Well surprise surprise that went down like a nuns knickers so they decided to go back to USB and stick with it but change the story as to what its purpose was.

They still make devices that have the ability to run using Firewire as its much faster than USB 2.0. But now theres a new technology that blows even Firewire out of the water and its called eSata. Right now only external hard drives are made to use it. Will it make USB obsolete? Most likely not. It has many short comings compared to USB. Plus in the next year or two they're coming out with USB 3.0! Its supposed to have speeds of around 4.8 Gbit/s and right now eSata is at 3 Gbit/s.

Well, the thing about firewire and usb is that usb transfers in bursts, firewire transfers in a contious stream

Anaways, do you think a Belkin Usb hub will work?

EDIT: i got my Belkin 7 port usb hub, and it works fine so far