Welcome to E8 :: [eon8]

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll also be able to use the shoutbox, customize your profile, change themes, gain reputation points for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private messenger, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
EON8

Enormous hole found in the universe

29 posts in this topic

we should just build a space ship and we can see the hole for ourselves.  :P

I wonder what would happen if we theoretically did. We might completely vaporize or even travel to another dimension. I guess we'll never know.  :-

I had the same question. From my understanding a black hole actually looks like something and is made up of gasses and what not. This is just a mind boggling huge void in space devoid of everything.

I had the same question. From my understanding a black hole actually looks like something and is made up of gasses and what not. This is just a mind boggling huge void in space devoid of everything.

From what I understand, a black hole sucks in so much matter and is only visible when there are gasses and matter near it, since the pull is so great, the gasses heat up and basicly glow and make them visible. This void is more of a... Giant hole. Black Holes will eventually force everything away from them... I watched some TV special on them. Lol.

Speaking of tv specials I saw one some time ago with the subject of what would happen if we entered a black hole. I remember they talked about one of the major theories being something like we would demolecularize but wouldn't die. I can't remember if they said we would go anywhere or just spin around the edge. :P

Speaking of tv specials I saw one some time ago with the subject of what would happen if we entered a black hole. I remember they talked about one of the major theories being something like we would demolecularize but wouldn't die. I can't remember if they said we would go anywhere or just spin around the edge. :P

Very Large Array (VLA) radio telescope? lol. Sounds like something Douglas Adams came up with.

Anyways, I think that, if we somehow traveled there, we would just be travelling through empty space. Nothing special.

Also, black holes have large amounts of matter and energy and can apparently bend light somewhat.

Ultimate thrill ride...

Lol.

If they find that the LHC can only make black holes maybe they will turn it into an amusement park. :P

Technically speaking, if there ISN'T a large hole of nothingness in the universe, then all matter in the universe would be constantly bumping into eachother and there'd be no logical way for any of this matter to move around. There has to be some empty space SOMEWHERE.

Kind of like a space buffer zone you're saying. But whats all around the universe? Blackness and nothingness possibly. Since the universe is expanding there has to be room around it for growth. So if things need to push on one another it should be ok. It would be a different story if the universe was in a cube and when things moved they had no place to go.